OPTIMUM WATERLESS WASH & SHINE - FIRST TEST

Ron@Optimum

I got a sample of the new Waterless Wash & Shine (not available from OPT yet).  This product is designed to take advantage of a growing segment in car care - the true waterless category.  Opti-Clean was introduced years ago and is an excellent waterless product, but one that never found a market.  I've used it for years as a pre-spray/spot cleaner, and occasionally a stand alone product. Feedback from Amazon indicated waterless outsold rinseless by a large margin, so Dr G formulated a new entry.  Optimum's Waterless is ready to use and the name describes what it is much better than Opti-Clean. 

Enough background - the car used for Waterless Wash & Shine test was unevenly dirty - upper section reasonably clean, but lower panels rain splashed.  The vehicle was Opti-Coated 9 years ago, but the ceramic is still there.  It's been maintained with ONR, Opti-Seal, Hyper Seal, and recently Ultra.  Upper portions cleaned easily but a few lower panels required a second pass, not unusual for waterless.  It was a very easy process and my wife commented on the shine, typical for this car that is red and really amps the ceramic coating.  The Waterless fragrance seemed lightly like bubble gum and was pleasant.  I didn't clean wheels/tires (saving them for new Wheel & Tire Cleaner) and I used Stoners on glass...some waterless are streaky on glass and I will test at a later date. IMO Opti-Clean is the stronger cleaner, but Waterless is idiot simple to use and has a place on car enthusiasts shelves.

In its discription on the opticoat.com page it says and I quote "Foaming solution shows you it’s working"

Is that true? Does it foam and why? I know Larry Kossila has a waterless product that foams...I think he once said its to add lubrication or something like that. So why does the OPT waterless foam?

It does foam (unlike Opti-Clean), but it doesn't lift dirt as obviously as Wheel & Tire Cleaner.  I'm not sure why the difference but will check with Dr G - may be to show the product vs the clear OC, may be to take advantage of the popularity of foaming. FYI, I don't see any differences in performance between the 2 waterless products - not in cleaning, safety, or protection left behind...but will need to do a more detailed and lengthy test.

Compare/contrast Waterless Wash & Shine with Opti-Coat.  They are different formulas with similar cleaning power and work on the same surfaces, including glass, plastic, vinyl, etc.  Opti-Clean comes Ready to Use in 18oz spray bottle or 32oz/128 oz Concentrates.  Waterless comes Ready to Use in 17oz bottle or 128oz and has greater UV/polymer protection.

On 2/16/2024 at 12:16 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

Compare/contrast Waterless Wash & Shine with Opti-Coat.  They are different formulas with similar cleaning power and work on the same surfaces, including glass, plastic, vinyl, etc.  Opti-Clean comes Ready to Use in 18oz spray bottle or 32oz/128 oz Concentrates.  Waterless comes Ready to Use in 17oz bottle or 128oz and has greater UV/polymer protection.

I'm starting to get really confused with Optimum products.

For example: 

-Orange and White waffle foam pads (perform similarly; but different),

- Hyperseal/OptiSeal     ;       UltraCeramic/OptimumcarWax

-Tire Shine Spray      ;      Optimum Tire Gel 

- Optimum Wheel/tire Cleaner       ;     Optimum Power Clean

Anyway....so I'm still trying to understand this new waterless product and what would make me choose this over Opti Clean. 

Not a pad expert (I do very little polishing): White Waffle Pad - For recent model GM paint (specifically GM trucks I believe), Optimum created the White foam pad which is supposed to be light cut yet stiff foam composition. White waffle does not work well with Intensive Polish. Orange pad is more universal and works with all OPT Hyper polishes.

Sealants - Opti-Seal, basic sealant with 2-4 months durability, only sealant recommended for interior use (others too slick). Ultra Ceramic Seal, 6 month durability and greater gloss.  Hyper Seal, up to 1 year longevity, harder and more chemically resistant, but less shine.

Tire Shine, a spray on product, Opti-Bond, a wipe on gel

Wheel & Tire Cleaner is a foaming product specifically formulated and ready to use.  Power Clean, an all purpose product that can be diluted for a variety of uses.

Waterless Wash & Shine, a ready to use product in different sizes with more UV/hydrophobic properties.  Opti-Clean has concentrated options needing dilution.

The new products are more oriented to end users, already mixed and with singular purposes and descriptions.