Cyclo users–opinions?

carlsson

I would like to purchase a Cyclo polisher for my own use–to maintain our own, and other family members' cars. I'm also considering to enter the business of detailing, possibly as a supplemental income at this point. I've got a lot to learn, and I'm not one to go into this sort of thing without being very well prepared, but that's another issue. I currently use a couple of Optimum products with beautiful results, the No-Rinse wash, and the spray wax.

I'm interested in feedback regarding the Cyclo. I'll say that I'm leaning towards this polisher heavily because of a local detailer that has done work on 3 cars for my wife and me, and couple of friends over the last couple of years–with what I would say are very excellent results. He's very well considered around here and has more than 15 years of experience, and has done many very high end cars, has a huge portfolio to show it, and he's got regular repeat business with some obviously wealthy customers. The Cyclo is his primary tool for everything. But on the other hand, what I see on the internet forums is sort of an absence of praise, or lack of much opinion about the tool, rather the Porter Cable seems to be the standard, and the Cyclo seems to me to be sort of ignored. I'm just kinda wondering why this is, and what you users of the Cyclo here would say about it, as I have only the one personal reference to it, albeit a very positive one.

Sorry for the length of the post, just want to have you know where I'm coming from.

The Cyclo is a wonderful tool and I have been using one for longer than I care to state. The reason you see more talk about the PC or the UDM over the Cyclo is because of cost. The PC costs a lot less than the Cyclo so enthusiasts, those who make up the majority of posters on detailing forums, purchased the PC instead of the Cyclo.

The Cyclo though is far superior to the PC in that it is far more rugged, has more torque which amounts in better paint correction. The PC will also vibrate your wrists to death. Why people use a PC I have no idea because I couldn't stand the pain it caused me for more than 10 minutes. Perhaps running a machine polisher for so many years has in some way damaged my wrists but the PC, for me, was all wrong.

The newest machine to hit the market is the Flex orbital polisher. I am told it is a very nice machine that delivers great results also but I personally have not tried one because I have everything I need already in terms of polishing tools, which would be my rotary and my Cyclo.

Hope that helps,

Anthony

Thanks for the reply. That's encouraging, because of course, putting out $300+ for a polisher does make me a little nervous. Especially being new to this detailing thing–that is real detailing. I've always done everything by hand on my cars over the years, I never even considered one of those $25 "orbitals". Even clay bar use is fairly new to me, and in the past, it seemed that swirls, and marring were part of the routine for me. No surprise at all for many of you experienced folks I'm sure. I'm hoping the Cyclo and some patient self training will put an end to all that, and yield at least pleasing results. I've ordered up the Cyclo with the double precision pad set, and Optimum polish for a start. I have a 15 year old Camry that I can have a bit of a go with when I get the polisher. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two :)

Regards

Received the Cyclo today and went for sort of quick detail on the old Camry. Washed with the ONR and clayed with the Meguiars kit. Used the orange pad only with Optimum polish. Quick once over with minimal Optimum wax. The air quality around here is terrible–fires all around the area, so I couldn't go all out. I also wanted to use the Cyclo ASAP, if nothing else but to get a feel for it. The pics don't really do justice. The car, at least one side, does look a heck of a lot better than before. I think that if I went over again with the polish with the green pad I think I could of got it to pop out more? I have a long way to go–education wise. I love the way this Cyclo machine works, and I have a good feeling about being able to do much, much better. All in good time, right?

Before:

2615076574_46ef2169bd_o.jpg

Before:

2615076618_272a5db8f2_o.jpg

Before:

2615076684_3be98489d2_o.jpg

After:

2615076484_4fc702b66a_o.jpg

After:

2614246937_8ce620682e_o.jpg

After:

2614246805_a2d7236a93_o.jpg

After:

2614246863_f4aef9f734_o.jpg

Nice work......Hands down the Cyclo does a phenominal job with polishing.....I believe it is it's ultimate strength. It is a polishing wizard......Built like a tank (although there are some delicate areas within the design~ask me how I know :dribble[1]: ), balanced and has a tremendous longevity......Check out ebay every so often......there are some old S/N's hanging around that are still working well!

Congrats.......If you like it now, you'll only get to love it more later.......Truly a classic power tool!

Technique wise try going very slow in a 3x3 area and notice the machine "shine" in performance. In moving very slow you will notice a bit of heat being built up, thus having more of a cutting effect similar to a rotary.......not a rotary but it can build up some heat similar to one.

Cyclo Baby~

Received the Cyclo today and went for sort of quick detail on the old Camry. Washed with the ONR and clayed with the Meguiars kit. Used the orange pad only with Optimum polish. Quick once over with minimal Optimum wax. The air quality around here is terrible–fires all around the area, so I couldn't go all out. I also wanted to use the Cyclo ASAP, if nothing else but to get a feel for it. The pics don't really do justice. The car, at least one side, does look a heck of a lot better than before. I think that if I went over again with the polish with the green pad I think I could of got it to pop out more? I have a long way to go–education wise. I love the way this Cyclo machine works, and I have a good feeling about being able to do much, much better. All in good time, right?

Before:

2615076574_46ef2169bd_o.jpg

Before:

2615076618_272a5db8f2_o.jpg

Before:

2615076684_3be98489d2_o.jpg

After:

2615076484_4fc702b66a_o.jpg

After:

2614246937_8ce620682e_o.jpg

After:

2614246805_a2d7236a93_o.jpg

After:

2614246863_f4aef9f734_o.jpg

Go to the green pad, after the orange. If you have some Optimum Poli-seal, apply that on a green pad and finish on a white buffing pad. From there use a good quality carnauba. It will look like a brand new car!

Go to the green pad, after the orange. If you have some Optimum Poli-seal, apply that on a green pad and finish on a white buffing pad. From there use a good quality carnauba. It will look like a brand new car!

I would like to try the Poli-Seal, thank you for the suggestion. I take it that the Poli-Seal acts more like a finer finishing polish compared to Optimum Polish?

I am having issues with my "practice" truck in that I can't seem to completely remove the seemingly minor swirling from the previous owner. I might even be adding some of my own. Also, since the truck is white, its very difficult to check results unless the sun is just right. Even the halogen lamp I have doesn't show the true story. I have to add again that I am totally new to the Cyclo, and the OP. I need a lot more practice, possibly dark color junk yard car panels would be the thing for me to get a feel for working times, product usage, etc. I am a greenhorn big time, but I am seeing improvement, rather at least I haven't ruined anything yet.

I would like to try the Poli-Seal, thank you for the suggestion. I take it that the Poli-Seal acts more like a finer finishing polish compared to Optimum Polish?

I am having issues with my "practice" truck in that I can't seem to completely remove the seemingly minor swirling from the previous owner. I might even be adding some of my own. Also, since the truck is white, its very difficult to check results unless the sun is just right. Even the halogen lamp I have doesn't show the true story. I have to add again that I am totally new to the Cyclo, and the OP. I need a lot more practice, possibly dark color junk yard car panels would be the thing for me to get a feel for working times, product usage, etc. I am a greenhorn big time, but I am seeing improvement, rather at least I haven't ruined anything yet.

Are you using only the OP? What pad are you using? The cyclo can only create so much heat. You may need to use optimum compund or hyper compound, and a stronger yellow pad. Go to www.topoftheline.com and look at the pads there. You may need a combo of both a compound and a few stronger pads. If you can pick up some super cheap, dark panels, on which to work, that should teach you a lot.

Are you using only the OP? What pad are you using? The cyclo can only create so much heat. You may need to use optimum compund or hyper compound, and a stronger yellow pad. Go to www.topoftheline.com and look at the pads there. You may need a combo of both a compound and a few stronger pads. If you can pick up some super cheap, dark panels, on which to work, that should teach you a lot.

Yes, so far only the OP and orange pad. My limited prior experience on my truck as a guinea pig, with only the green pad and OP, showed little, if any swirl correction. So I went with the orange pad only after that.

Stupid question here, but what do you mean by finish on a white buffing pad? Do you mean work the Poli-seal in with the green pad, and then go over again with the white with another/more application of Poli-seal?

...and detailing is my playground!

Mine as well :confused1[1]:

The reason I called the cyclo for toy is beacuse of my new polisher. It´s based on the same prinicples as the Cyclo, IE dual heads and etc. But with a 1200 watt engine from Flex with adjustable rpm and space for 5,25" pads.

The only downside is the price. $ 1143 53 cents. :rolleyes:

Ruh Roh Shaggy!!!! We better not let the board members of that other big car care forum see Porta's posting here or there is going to be a major rush on that style of Flex polisher!! Of course at $1400..... that might keep many of us in the "I want" category as opposed to "I own"

Archived