Filtering ONR (W&W) Wash Water

Heijneker

I was wondering if and how ditry  used Optimum No Rinse (Wash and Wax)  wash solution could be filtered back into distilled water.

Has Optimum Polymer Technologies done any research into this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Another option would be to filter the dirty, used wash solution back into usable, clean wash solution. Though I figure it would be difficult to detirmine the ratio of ONR to water.

I sometimes filter ONR wash solution through a fine plastic filter funnel to get the floating pieces of debris and nature, and use this filtered solution for less sensitive cleaning - either as a rinse for brushes from cleaning wheels and tires, or to wash the floor, etc.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:55 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

Optimum has not researched trying to filter used ONR and I can't imagine why we would...

16 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

The above makes sense to be efficient.  I believe trying to reuse ONR will have a negative effect on it's performance over time.

Ron, you remember, Yvan had a video in his shop in Montreal, where he showed some kind of crazy double bucket that he made so he could reuse ONR for a long time.  While I can sort of understand this in an commercial setting, the weight of his advice seemed to convince some enthusiasts that this was a good idea.  For a normal car owner doing a few washes a week, I can't think of any possible reason you would want to re-use dirty wash solution...it's just crazy.

I mean I understand that instead of just pouring out the dirty solution, you wiped down the siding on your house, but saving it for the next wash is just crazy (unless, as I said, in a commercial setting, when the next wash is 2 minutes away, and you're just a car washer...but if you are a high-end detailer, I think it would be malpractice to not give a new customer a fresh bucket of wash and media).

On 2/23/2020 at 5:55 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

Optimum has not researched trying to filter used ONR and I can't imagine why we would...

So Ron, to verify, Optimum has not researched a viable proces to remove ONR (W&W) from the wash solution?

I'm wondering if a car wash/valet could use this product without having to dispose into sewage systems.

4 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Yvan had a high volume business and was always looking for efficiencies/savings.  For the normal consumer I don't see the benefit.  I've used a single bucket of ONR for 2 cars and could have done 3 if I had the energy. 

It depends how you're using it, also...Yvan used to use a single bucket, which I guess is the OPT recommendation, where a lot of us use a rinse bucket...in that case the solution bucket stays pretty clean, and I don't see it being a big deal to go on to another car with it, depending (more than likely I'm going to use one batch per car, just because if I drove through some crap that's on my car, I'm not going to risk transferring that to my better half's car by using the same bucket of wash...I mean, that's just asking for a divorce, right?)  But at the end of the session, I'm going to pour that out.

If you're using a single bucket...I'm going to dump that out and get a fresh bucket and fresh media for the next car, even if it's just the next car in my driveway.

3 hours ago, Heijneker said:

So Ron, to verify, Optimum has not researched a viable proces to remove ONR (W&W) from the wash solution?

I'm wondering if a car wash/valet could use this product without having to dispose into sewage systems.

What are you saying, you want to separate out the concentrate again from the solution?  So you could sewer the water and re-use the concentrate?  I've never heard of doing anything like that for something that's biodegradable like ONR is.  You could evaporate it back down to the concentrate, but I'm sure the cost of doing that would exceed mixing up new, likewise a chemical process would likely bind the ONR to something else to separate it from the water, and then the ONR would have to be separated (if possible) from what it was bound to....again not worth it.

But take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, I'm not a chemist, I just play one on the internet, sort of.

Optimum avoids hard and fast recommendations like 1 bucket vs 2 bucket vs Garry Dean Method and Big Red Sponge or mitt or microfiber, etc.  If we thought there was a huge difference as it relates to Optimum products, we'd say so, but these things are personal preference.  I've kidded that if you asked 3 different OPT employees a question, you'd get 5 answers.  Dr G used 1 bucket (until the warehouse started washing his cars...), Yvan promotes 1 bucket and I use 2.  All paths lead to God...or a well maintained car. 

I'm frankly not sure what Heijneker is getting at - filtering back to the original ONR solution or separating the ONR itself.  OPT hasn't tried and has no reason to attempt it. 

8 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Optimum avoids hard and fast recommendations like 1 bucket vs 2 bucket vs Garry Dean Method and Big Red Sponge or mitt or microfiber, etc.  If we thought there was a huge difference as it relates to Optimum products, we'd say so, but these things are personal preference.  I've kidded that if you asked 3 different OPT employees a question, you'd get 5 answers.  Dr G used 1 bucket (until the warehouse started washing his cars...), Yvan promotes 1 bucket and I use 2.  All paths lead to God...or a well maintained car. 

I'm frankly not sure what Heijneker is getting at - filtering back to the original ONR solution or separating the ONR itself.  OPT hasn't tried and has no reason to attempt it. 

Firstly,/mainly seperating the ONR from the solution so as to have clean pure water afterwards to reuse for making new wash solutions.

And that had me thinking "But why not leave the "good"/unused ONR in the solution, and just filter out the "bad"/used ONR?", if ONR even works that way.

2 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

What are you saying, you want to separate out the concentrate again from the solution?  So you could sewer the water and re-use the concentrate?  I've never heard of doing anything like that for something that's biodegradable like ONR is.  You could evaporate it back down to the concentrate, but I'm sure the cost of doing that would exceed mixing up new, likewise a chemical process would likely bind the ONR to something else to separate it from the water, and then the ONR would have to be separated (if possible) from what it was bound to....again not worth it.

But take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, I'm not a chemist, I just play one on the internet, sort of.

Sort of, I would re-use the water, but that basically boils down (excuse the pun) to the same thing. There is some reason to my madness haha.