Clear Coat Restore - Self Healing Video

This is going to be long post, and I really hope that you, Ron, find the time to answer it properly, or preferably, that Dr. G. finds the time. First off: thanks for linking this gem of a video.

Even though I can't stand the way Detail Popo have filmed this, I stood through it multiple times over the last couple of days, because there were some mind-boggling statements made. Most-noteably: the self-healing capabilities of clear coat (restorer) when heated up to (a staggering to me) 85 degrees celcius. It appears as if scratches between 5 and 10 microns thick are being removed from the clear coat, solely through the power of heat. New scratches can hardly be induced when the paint is at this temperature as well.

Thus, here's my first question: Is clear coat (Restorer) really able to heal from scratches/defects this way and have long lasting results?

We were always "taught", that when removing said defects through compounding/polishing, heat is an unwanted by-product, causing paint-swell, where the substrate and the paint itself expand, which effectively hides defects. These defects then re-emerge after some time. Don't take my word for it, take rupes's: https://rupesusa.com/tech-tips-with-todd-heat-paint-swell-and-scratch-return/

So, isn't Detail Pop doing the same in the Youtube video stated above? The heat causes the paint to swell, hiding the defects for an x-amount of time.

If this isn't the case and heat genuinly fixes defects in paint: why are we polishing and compounding our cars? Just pour some boiling water over your paint till the defects are gone. Seems to me this would be better for your paint as well, since you're not removing it, just fixing it.

Again, I really hope an Optimum official finds the time to properly answer my questions. I would be VERY thankfull for that.

Rik

2 hours ago, Heijneker said:

This is going to be long post, and I really hope that you, Ron, find the time to answer it properly, or preferably, that Dr. G. finds the time. First off: thanks for linking this gem of a video.

Even though I can't stand the way Detail Popo have filmed this, I stood through it multiple times over the last couple of days, because there were some mind-boggling statements made. Most-noteably: the self-healing capabilities of clear coat (restorer) when heated up to (a staggering to me) 85 degrees celcius. It appears as if scratches between 5 and 10 microns thick are being removed from the clear coat, solely through the power of heat. New scratches can hardly be induced when the paint is at this temperature as well.

Thus, here's my first question: Is clear coat (Restorer) really able to heal from scratches/defects this way and have long lasting results?

We were always "taught", that when removing said defects through compounding/polishing, heat is an unwanted by-product, causing paint-swell, where the substrate and the paint itself expand, which effectively hides defects. These defects then re-emerge after some time. Don't take my word for it, take rupes's: https://rupesusa.com/tech-tips-with-todd-heat-paint-swell-and-scratch-return/

So, isn't Detail Pop doing the same in the Youtube video stated above? The heat causes the paint to swell, hiding the defects for an x-amount of time.

If this isn't the case and heat genuinly fixes defects in paint: why are we polishing and compounding our cars? Just pour some boiling water over your paint till the defects are gone. Seems to me this would be better for your paint as well, since you're not removing it, just fixing it.

Again, I really hope an Optimum official finds the time to properly answer my questions. I would be VERY thankfull for that.

Rik

I can't answer for the science behind ccr but I can say that heat will not repair scratches in factory clear coat. I would not recommend applying ccr the way they did in that video.

Ccr is for neglected and clear that is worn and not to add clear to brand new clear just for the sake of adding it. 

Once business resumes and things get going again I am going to be testing this self healing for myself for sure. I will post the results when that happens

Dr G is pretty hard to access right now.  Again, Optimum did not request the video or have any input into it's methodology.  I don't believe the 85 degrees Celsius is accurate (185 degrees F?) and she stated it equaled bright sunlight.  While OPT has never claimed self healing as a property of CCR, we've seen that work on our ceramic coatings, with stains from water spots, bug guts, bird bombs, etc disappearing under a combination of UV and heat.  We've also not tested to see if, after time, any scratches repaired by self healing reappear. 

Thanks for the reply, Ron, but sadly it doesn't really answer my questions (except for the part about testing , I guess).

If you can get Dr. G to, eventually, chime in on the theory/science behind this, that would be really helpfull.

But of course, I understand that the video was not requested or supported in any way by OPT, so nobody has to defend/debunk the statements made or anything that's shown, no matter how interesting they are.

Dr G is not big on discussing the science behind his products.  These are his comments on CCR:

Not all paints are self healing. If a paint is self healing then it will fill in minor scratches with minimal heat (70-90 F). Excessive heating such as using a polisher can bring the surface temperature to 150-200F which can temporarily cause the paint to flow and fill scratches. We do not claim CCR to have self healing properties, however, this testing shows that it does to some extent.