Opticoat Maintenance (new products have piqued my interest)

AMDG75

Had Opticoat Pro applied 6 years ago, and have been happy with it, compared to Ceramic Pro that was applied to my wife's SUV one year ago.

For years, have been using Optimum No Rinse, almost exclusively; in winter have been able to wash cars in near freezing temps in my unheated garage with two buckets of warm water . And, more recently have been using (addicted to) Optimum Instant Detailer enhancer after each wash - and, as a 'waterless wash' if car not too dirty.

--> Wondering if I should apply something like Hyperseal periodically, or is this not necessary.  What prompted this question was that on other detailing forums, some have been enamored with Wolfgang SiO2 coating wash. How does this differ from ONR? Do you suggest something else? (It's tough to compare products when ingredients not listed.)  Thank  you. 

Instant Detailer is an excellent spot cleaner or for a lightly soiled car.  Hyper Seal is really a different product, with no cleaning characteristics but with great gloss and durability.  Formulated to work on ceramic coatings, it will bond to your Pro.  I can't speak to the Wolfgang product and companies don't list proprietary information (beyond MSDS)...unless you're a chemist, not sure how much that would help. 

Thanks for your quick response!

I neglected to ask if using something like hyperseal would offer protection as my Opticoat is now 6 yrs old and maybe worn a bit. Maybe it’s not needed, but thought I would ask.

While l’ve taken plenty of organic chemistry and biochemistry classes in preparation for other degrees, I am certainly no chemist, although I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express 😂. I just figured if identical chemicals listed in same order, that there may be some equivalence between products. 
Thanks.

I can tell you that chemical companies, including Optimum, are very close with their "recipes".  Hyper Seal contains some of the same silicone components as Opti-Coat, which is why it's much more durable than normal waxes/sealants.  While not a reload, it can extend the life time of your coating...and look good doing it!

I am open to recommendations.  I am not a detailer, just a simple person who likes to keep cars clean (even if it means a quick once over after getting home from work), and nothing more satisfying than having snow/water simply bead off. 

I was just wondering if there was something (like Hyper Seal) that I could use to achieve my desires result).  My thought was if 6 yr old Opticoat Pro was a bit ‘worn’ and not in need of re-doing, then Hyper Seal would achieved intended result. The instant detailer is very short lived, so when lurking on Autogeek/Autopia, I saw others rave about various SiO2 products, which in turn prompted me to ask here —- where it all started 
So, open to suggestions. I recognize that Hyper Seal will likely last several weeks, but that’s fine with me—-unless you guys suggest that using the instant detailer serves same end result.

Also, happy to consider some sort of decontamination as Tug Bankert suggests. (I periodically use IronX, more so on my wife’s white SUV), or any other advice.

thanks

I'm with Tug and think try a decontamination first.  Depending maintenance, Opti-Coat can last years beyond it's warranty.  I've had the Pro version (before Plus) on a car for 6+ years and it's still there.  There are some excellent youtube videos on decontamination (anything by Yvan is great) and you can be as thorough as you want.  IronX (or Optimum FerreX), Power Clean, MDR, Paint Prep are all good for decontam.  If after that, the paint is still dull or not hydrophobic, then another ceramic treatment might be in order.  As I've said, Hyper Seal can last months and has some SiO2 components, but it's no where as hard or chemically resistant as Opti-Coat.  Gloss-Coat is a 2 - 3 year ceramic that you could easily apply and is reasonably priced, FYI.

Appreciate everyone's recommendations. I do 'deep cleans' every few months, and paint still looks great and hydrophobic properties still mostly intact.

Will follow your suggestions and do a real decontamination. Afterwards, it seems that the next step would be either Gloss Coat or Hyper Seal, if I don't want to have re-Opticoated? I understand that neither would be as durable as Opticoat, but Opticoat still appears to be intact, so just want to apply something extra.

As for re-Opticoating, not sure that I want to spend that much -price around here for any good ceramics have gone up 3x since first applied. Moreover, the person who did a great job prepping my car before Opticoating no longer does Opticoat, and the person who applied Xpel Ultimate to front clip back when uses Ceramic Pro (which based on incredibly small sample size of 2, I am less impressed with).

Look for "Winter gets the Decon" on Youtube for a how-to on decon washes. Since Opti-Coat produced the video, they will only use OPT products of course.

You may find alternatives to those that (almost) do the same job, but you are unlikely to do so for MDR (Mineral Deposit Remover, salt is a mineral). It's an extremely impressive product.

Anyway, I would advise to stick with OPT products anyway, since they're designed to work with your coating.

And just give Hyper-seal a try to begin with, it's the cheapest and easiest option.

Here's the link: