Hyper-Seal on other ceramic coatings

EBGroup

I had recently asked Pan the Organizer about maintaining a ceramic coating by Avalon King called Armour Shield IX. It’s a 3-5 year coating.

I suggested decontamination and then topping it with Hyper-Seal.

He said that Hyper-Seal would be rejected by the coating.

I just don’t see how that can be or how he knows. 

Any input or suggestions?

Hyper Seal works on Optimum Coatings because it contains some of the same components (unlike other waxes/sealants) - not knowing the chemistry of Armour Shield IX, I can't say if it will bond.  Decontamination would have no effect on the bonding.

• 1 month later...

Helpful info here !  I do wonder which Opti-Pro coating  (Opti-seal or Opti-Hyperseal) would "stick" best to windshield coatings and resist wiper ruboff?   I also wonder i Hyper-seal might be prone to building up on wipers (other glass silicons like Rain-X have that quirk).

Are there glass coatings that use Silicon Carbide or do those  rely on SIO2  (I've no idea about Graphene coatings for glass - have not heard of any specifically for glass and graphene, being dark, might reduce glass transparancy).

Opti-Seal and Hyper Seal will bond to glass coatings but not stand up to wiper abrasion...Hyper Seal is better but again is not formulated for long term use on glass. I've never had or heard of any sealant buildup.  Again, can't speak to other coatings but Dr G has referred to graphene as marketing BS. 

On 2/21/2021 at 3:25 PM, Ron@Optimum said:

Opti-Seal and Hyper Seal will bond to glass coatings but not stand up to wiper abrasion...Hyper Seal is better but again is not formulated for long term use on glass. I've never had or heard of any sealant buildup.  Again, can't speak to other coatings but Dr G has referred to graphene as marketing BS. 

Good to know about windshield wiper effects on the sealants.  Are there any publicly viewable comments or reports from Dr. G regarding graphene coatings?  It would be helpful to get a peek behind Graphene's hype. 

I didn't see any final results on the test - both products held up to the chemical attacks, but that is the strength of ceramics.  More curious about long term appearance and ease of cleaning.

Fun Fact - both Dr Beasley and Chicaro Auto Pros were Opti-Coat Pro installers 5+ years ago (I signed them both up).  At the time I suspected Dr B was buying our coatings to reverse engineer, since they already sold chemicals.  Optimum is restrictive on minimum pricing and I felt Chicago Pros wanted more flexibility in setting retails (that's an opinion).

I've seen Chicago Pros' youtube video about ceramic and graphene comparison  (I remember both coatings were high level consumer products, not "pro" products) and saw for those two coatings that polishing - to paraphrase an old Bill Cosby line - "Murdered 'em and bumped them off".  I assume that for a silicon carbide coating a __lot__ more polishing would be required to do the same.

So far I've not found the video where Dr Beasley talks about graphene.   Pan the Organizer has touched on graphene .vs. ceramic but suggested ceramics are proven while graphenes are still in early stages.  Hopefully in future this neophyte will learn the true differences  (my hunch is it's the matrix substrate, not the graphene, which makes a "graphene" coating work).

Pan also mentioned clay baring a ceramic coating could damage the coating, so I'll stick to infrequent chemical decontamination as maintenance.

This may be the full Chicago Pro Youtube video about Graphene (it contains several different YouTube shows including one where Dr Beasley does talk about graphene).

If it's not appropriate to have Youtube links here, Forum Moderators, please delete this clip link.

I have been using hyper-seal with gloss coat going on a year and a half, with two winters. Hyper-seal was my dry aid after blowing the car mostly dry with a leaf blower. 

The upper panels on my Toyota 86 still has good hydrophobics while the Lower panels are not sheeting water nearly as well.

To be fair, I have not done a proper contact wash in 4 months, and have only been using touchless coin wash, and occasional touchless automatic washes. 

lyXR8mv.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Getting back to Hyper_Seal:

How many washings can I expect Hyper_Seal to survive? 

My first major wash of my Pro+ coating was today, using pre-rinse, foam wash, gentle agitation of foam with very soft wash mitt, rinse-off of Renny Doyle foam, distilled water spray, 500-series microfiber towel dry.   I noted a great deal of beading (even during the foam application) but very little sheeting (beads didn't leave much in way of trails when blown off the car).

FYI Apex detailing now offers a protective spray (not a coating) that claims to "sheet" water  (is made by artdesign)