NEW FORMULA GLOSS-COAT

Ron@Optimum

The new formula Gloss-Coat has increased ceramic polymers that improve it's scratch/mar resistance, UV protection, and chemical resistance.  Increased release properties allow it to shed dirt and other contaminates more easily, staying cleaner and making washing easier.

With only an 8% chance of rain forecasted for Saturday I figured I’d be ok. Nope. It rained 24 hours later which isn’t ideal but shouldn’t hurt it.  2 coats an hour apart. Prepped with HP and Paint Prep.   I likely did not use enough product though.  I only ended up using 8cc's.  Very hydrophobic.  Looks great and was super easy to use.  

IMG_3842 (1).jpg

IMG_3843 (1).jpg

IMG_3844 (1).jpg

Ron, 

Do you know the temp resistance of gloss coat?  Wondering whether it will last on brake calipers, exhaust tips, and other very hot surfaces. 

Also, I know it says not to apply on glass, but is that mainly due to wiper easily wearing it off?  Or are there other reasons not to use it on side or back glass?  

Thanks!

As far as glass, I think Dr. G had a liability concern about high spots reducing visibility.  They also gave that warning for OC 2.0, which never stopped some of us from using it on glass.  It has been stated that Opti-Glass is more resistant to wiper degradation than the other coatings, and it's easier to use, as I recall...I haven't used it for a few years.

Optimum ceramics, including Gloss-Coat, have been used on motorcycle engines/mufflers, so I don't think there's a issue with temperature.  There were 2 reasons Optimum does not recommend using on glass: first is legal liability, a bad install on a windshield could theoretically create a visual distortion leading to an accident; second, the durability will be less that OPT suggests (or guarantees with OCP) on paint due to wiper abrasion.  Optimum does not want to over promise.  Opti-Glass is more abrasion proof and offers 1+ year durability (retail version), and 2+ years/20,000 miles (Pro).  As Setec suggests, many people apply the ceramics to glass with no problem and good results.

• 6 months later...

make sure you expunge any air from the syringe, then replace black cap tightly.  I'm not sure it makes any difference if refrigerated/frozen.  I've had ceramic coating stay good for years without cooling...but then go bad for no obvious reason besides age.  There are no guarantees!