Random Observations

dlc95

Last year I applied another brand of ceramic coating to the door of my gf's old truck. I tried to remove it with a light polishing pad, and 3D ONE compound/polish. It didn't take it all the way off, so I left it. The rest of the truck had been Opti-Sealed. 

Well, today I wanted to re-apply Gloss Coat to the last section of her new Jeep Wrangler (I had done the driver side, and passenger side "t-top" a couple weeks ago). I used a black waffle pad with Hyper Polish on an old Porter Cable 7424, the same polisher I used on the truck. It didn't come off. Usually after I use Hyper Polish or 3D ONE the pain is always grippy. The surface was just as slick as the t-top section I had just recently Gloss Coated. 

That coating was applied in September of 21. It has gone through a pretty active winter, and it gets baked in a parking lot  daily when she is at work..  I had clayed it too, which pulled up some very light contamination. That really instills even more confidence in the product. I wasn't expecting it to hold up to being polished, even though I was using a pretty "weak" polisher (which I regularly use for heavy paint corrections). 

Another thing I noticed....

I did a coating for a co-worker, and he installed ppf on my gf's Jeep. I started the process at work, where he was done before I was. To protect the vehicle in the meantime I used Optimum Car Wax. 

When he brought the car to our garage the following week, I had serious issues wiping off the usually easy 3D ONE. It was behaving like Meguiar's M105 or M205 when it wants to cement to the paint. I can only attribute this durable ingredients in Car Wax showing how substantial they are. It was so bad that I had to do a wipedown with Power Clean (3:1) and re wash with ONR (which took probably less than ten minutes), and proceeded with polishing. After the 3D ONE / Uro-Fiber cutting was done, I finished with Hyper Polish on black waffle pads. From there it got Paint Prep, and Gloss Coat. I see this car three days a week at work. He doesn't wash it regularly, he sometimes drives through a tunnel wash.... This will allow me to see how well it holds up, with the first hand knowledge of how it's maintained by someone who is not me. I'll perform a proper Optimum Gloss Coat decon wash, and see how the coating is holding up. 

Another thing I noticed about Gloss Coat was how well it resisted tunnel wash swirls. A few years ago I did a paint correction / coating on my gf's boss' Audi A8. I polished with Rupes Keramik on their original microfiber yellow fine pads. Paint Prep, and Gloss Coat, Opti-Seal an hour later. Done. A year later he came to me for his maintenance wash, and there were significantly less swirls than the Rupes 808 Protective Sealant / Zymol Carbon I used for his prior service. I though that was pretty impressive for a "consumer" coating. 

I see varying results with Gloss Coat. It appears that people who use it regularly have done better with it than those that use it once and move on. 

Anyway, thanks for reading these meandering thoughts. I just wanted to tell someone other than my GF. Poor thing has no escape from hearing about my drums, but bands, or my detailing gear... 

Feel free to share some of your surprisingly positive random observations. 

I have another one!

After I washed the gf's Jeep, I applied Hyper Seal. I used a foam applicator and applied like I would Opti-Seal/Gloss Coat. 

Like Gloss Coat it was a little tacky after application, but after some time it became slick to the touch. 

It's been said that Hyper Seal is like Gloss Coat lite. I haven't tried it in that application yet, but it will probably what I use on my neighbor's car to determine how much it can take. 

haven't experimented with this, but according to Dr G, the combination of Gloss-Coat and Hyper Seal would be like Opti-Coat Pro Lite - as close to the Pro products as you can get.  While the Pro coatings are harder, with greater durability and chemical resistance, this combo with reasonable maintenance should provide the same protection for most drivers.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:40 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

haven't experimented with this, but according to Dr G, the combination of Gloss-Coat and Hyper Seal would be like Opti-Coat Pro Lite - as close to the Pro products as you can get.  While the Pro coatings are harder, with greater durability and chemical resistance, this combo with reasonable maintenance should provide the same protection for most drivers.

That's good to know, Ron. Thanks!

Some awesome insight into Optimum Gloss Coat (and Hyper-Seal)! An awesome product which I hope to experience somewhere next year. I take some time in getting to know the rest of the line first.

I did apply Hyper Seal like Gloss coat, with Paint Prep and the foam applicator. It leveled completely on it's own and is still going strong after nearly 6 months. No crazy beading or sheeting, but certainly still there. And I don't wash it that often anymore.