Hyper compound/polish question

Cdn_detailer

Yvan demonstrated a compound/orange pad followed by a polish /black pad. He said no need to wipe off compound (synergy, etc) you,just swap pads and polish. 

That’s great for the  little section he did , however when compound/polishing an entire car, would you compound/polish (with pad swap)/onr wipe each section, or would you compound the entire car, polish entire car, etc? 

would you want the compound sitting and drying and then polish? (Does the compound still need to be wet when polishing? 

if you have to,swap,pads each section pass that would diminish the time savings 

I just got done last night polishing my car…AGAIN. I used intensive hyper polish with a microfiber pad as I was trying to get some ceramic coating off my car. I followed that up with just hyper polish with a black pad. The shine was unreal. I have always just polished over compound or other more intensive polishes if I’m doing a two step. Less work than getting it off just put more back on.  It was so shiny I called my wife out and she even noticed that it was better than it’s been in the past. 

EDIT:

I did the whole car each time. Intensive polish, then hyper polish. I then wiped and panel wiped with optimum paint prep again the whole car.  I have a pad washer so I typically only use one pad for my car…two if it gets too dirty. 

On 10/7/2022 at 4:04 AM, Cdn_detailer said:

.... when compound/polishing an entire car, would you compound/polish (with pad swap)/onr wipe each section, or would you compound the entire car, polish entire car, etc?

When using a compound and polish, it will be quicker and easier to complete one panel at a time i.e. compound and then polish.  This requires less effort and avoids any issues of residue drying (I don't know if it does dry).

I get that, but then I have to swap pads each panel.  Not a big deal but the whole point of optimum is “synergy” 

compound whole car, polish whole car, wipe whole car. 

‘not sure if the residue drying is an issue or not.  All the,you tube videos only demonstrate a section (not even a full panel, and certainly not an entire car). 

I once polished a estoril blue BMW outside in the sun. I used Hyper polish and polished the entire driver side. I also wanted to polish the entire car and then wipe the residue off but Hyper polish dried up and a ONR wet towel diddnt remove the residue. I had to quickly re-polish it again and then I was able to remove the residue....so YES Hyper polish does dry up after a certain time!

Coincidentally  Nick demonstrated this a few years ago on his Hawk Pro Detailing YouTube channel after going through some Optimum training with Yvan.

It's been awhile since I've watched it in its entirety so I don't remember if he addresses it drying, but he does compound the entire car before going straight to polishing. 

Here's the link...

On 10/14/2022 at 12:46 PM, Cdn_detailer said:

I’m thinking maybe the best practice is to compound/wipe each panel. Smith pads, then polish/wipe each panel. 

It is quicker and easier plus it also has the advantage of keeping the mind engaged on the task.  When we do something repetitive for a while, our brains loose interest but switching from compounding to polishing the same panel will keep the brain engaged.