NEW PRODUCTS - TRCMA

JoseG

follow up to Setec's guestion concerning ONRWW (and I added Opti-Coat ONR) being reformulated.  Dr G stated the main purpose was to improve slickness and those two products already had better slickness than original ONR, so no plans to change the formulas.

• 4 weeks later...

Ultra Ceramic Seal, updated ceramic Hyper/Opti seal and Car Wax, opti-trim, opti-coat line through TRC,  and ONRv5 are up and running! Any updates on Opti-Clay? Still no sign of it on opti-coat or opt website. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2023 at 8:40 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

.....my guess is among sealants the hierarchy is Hyper Seal, Ceramic Seal, Opti-Seal, Car Wax for durability.  Other characteristics are mostly subjective - hydrophobics, chemical resistance, shine, slickness, and hardness. 

Old dog here looking for new tricks...

How does Gloss Coat fall into the above hierarchy? Or is that apples and oranges? 

2 minutes ago, BradB said:

Old dog here looking for new tricks...

How does Gloss Coat fall into the above hierarchy? Or is that apples and oranges? 

Car Wax > Opti Seal > Ultra Ceramic Seal > Hyper Seal > Gloss Coat > Paint Guard > Opti Coat Pro > Pro Plus > Pro 3. 

38 minutes ago, JoseG said:

Car Wax > Opti Seal > Ultra Ceramic Seal > Hyper Seal > Gloss Coat > Paint Guard > Opti Coat Pro > Pro Plus > Pro 3. 

Thanks! I couldn't find info on Paint Guard. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. 

For years my OPT regimen has been: Gloss Coat>Car Wash>Instant Detailer. On occasion I applied Opti Seal. I was thinking of upping my game a bit and was back here looking for options. But getting overwhelmed with the number of products and what seems like overlapping benefits. 

It looks like Gloss Coat will remain my base as other products are pro level. But it seems Opti Seal could get replaced by Hyper Seal.  Seems logical, I suppose.

On that note, it looks like Gloss Coat has been dropped by almost every online retailer. Any ideas why? I was afraid it was being discontinued altogether.  

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Thanks! I couldn't find info on Paint Guard. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place. 

For years my OPT regimen has been: Gloss Coat>Car Wash>Instant Detailer. On occasion I applied Opti Seal. I was thinking of upping my game a bit and was back here looking for options. But getting overwhelmed with the number of products and what seems like overlapping benefits. 

It looks like Gloss Coat will remain my base as other products are pro level. But it seems Opti Seal could get replaced by Hyper Seal.  Seems logical, I suppose.

On that note, it looks like Gloss Coat has been dropped by almost every online retailer. Any ideas why? I was afraid it was being discontinued altogether.  

Paint Guard and after are all pro coatings. Your process seems good! (Though Rinseless might make it easier).  I’ve personally replaced Opti with hyper seal, 2 bottles of Opti are more expensive than 1 of hyper for the same amount of liquid, and hyper gives better durability so it’s a no brainer. I put it in an old Opti seal bottle for less consumption. I don’t think Gloss coat will be discontinued, it’s a great coating! But I have noticed that Autogeek and Detailed Image don’t have it anymore. The Rag Company still does. 

not much I can add to Jose - Paint Guard is the entry Pro coating (3 years warranty), Gloss-Coat is still available but my guess is spray ceramic sealants like Ultra and Hyper (not to mention many competitors) may be stealing sales.

Thanks guys! Very helpful. Looks like I'm still on the right track. But I'll add Hyper Seal to the regimen. 

Speaking of regimen, I am due to re-apply Gloss Coat to a couple of my cars. I think the finishes are still in pretty good shape, but I expect there is a fair amount of mild contamination. It probably doesn't require any polishing , but some cleaning is likely warranted. Typically I would wash the car and attack any contamination I feel with clay, then re-apply Gloss Coat. I'm assuming I don't need to use any Paint Prep again.

But I see some cleaning products that I really don't understand how they are used or if there is a lot of overlap in the formulas.  I'm speaking of MDR, Power Clean and M-Wash. How/when are these products the most effective?

Thanks again, sorry to get off topic. 

1 minute ago, BradB said:

Thanks guys! Very helpful. Looks like I'm still on the right track. But I'll add Hyper Seal to the regimen. 

Speaking of regimen, I am due to re-apply Gloss Coat to a couple of my cars. I think the finishes are still in pretty good shape, but I expect there is a fair amount of mild contamination. It probably doesn't require any polishing , but some cleaning is likely warranted. Typically I would wash the car and attack any contamination I feel with clay, then re-apply Gloss Coat. I'm assuming I don't need to use any Paint Prep again.

But I see some cleaning products that I really don't understand how they are used or if there is a lot of overlap in the formulas.  I'm speaking of MDR, Power Clean and M-Wash. How/when are these products the most effective?

Thanks again, sorry to get off topic. 

It’s possible the coating is simply clogged. Optimums decontamination process is Wash > Power Clean paint > FerreX with Clay towel > wipe on MDR > rinse. You should see improved hydrophobics afterwards. 

Power Clean is an Alkaline All Purpose Cleaner, MDR is an acid base mineral deposit (water spot) remover, and M-Wash is the fancy Opti Coat Maintenance Line soap. 

5 minutes ago, JoseG said:

It’s possible the coating is simply clogged. Optimums decontamination process is Wash > Power Clean paint > FerreX with Clay towel > wipe on MDR > rinse. You should see improved hydrophobics afterwards. 

Power Clean is an Alkaline All Purpose Cleaner, MDR is an acid base mineral deposit (water spot) remover, and M-Wash is the fancy Opti Coat Maintenance Line soap. 

Ok, great. I will read up on this. But I assume M-Wash (as well as Power Clean and MDR) is only used PRIOR to a fresh application of Gloss Coat. In other words, I am guessing that these will degrade Gloss Coat somewhat and should not be used as a regular maintenance between-application-intervals of Gloss Coat. 

agree that you may have contamination rather than Gloss-Coat failure.  Also, since you use Opti-Seal regularly, you should consider Paint Prep or Power Clean prior to re-coating - clay will not necessarily remove Opti-Seal and you want all wax/sealant removed.

M-Wash is a high quality car wash tweaked for ceramic coating and will not remove Gloss-Coat.  Power Clean/MDR will not remove ceramics easily, but repeated use/over use will degrade any coating.

Hi Brad b

I had the same problem looked like my gloss coat was gone on my roof and hood . Turner out it was contaminated with all the pollen were getting here.  I just used power clean ( almost full strength) on the hood and roof.  I purchased  optimums air foamer  work brilliantly nice layer of thick foam just were i wanted it  used a microfiber washmitt soaked in onr moved it around a bit then added a little more foam  keep this up for five minutes did not let it dry out.  Rinsed off car then onr wash . Back to normal  .

6 hours ago, Habs said:

Hi Brad b

I had the same problem looked like my gloss coat was gone on my roof and hood . Turner out it was contaminated with all the pollen were getting here.  I just used power clean ( almost full strength) on the hood and roof.  I purchased  optimums air foamer  work brilliantly nice layer of thick foam just were i wanted it  used a microfiber washmitt soaked in onr moved it around a bit then added a little more foam  keep this up for five minutes did not let it dry out.  Rinsed off car then onr wash . Back to normal  .

Very interesting. I am pretty anal about washing the car frequently but I guess it adds up at a level you really can't see. I'm going to try a good clean and see how it goes. Will be ordering new products today. Thanks!