Reusing ONR for two or more cars

There are some people speculating that ONR cane be reused for multiple washes up to a month of mixing the solution. 

I currently have two cars to wash with one bucket and ONR. Would 2 gallons be sufficient or to split it in 1 gallons for each car where throwing away the dirty solution between the washes? Can it be reused next week on maintenance washes?

What is the Optimum recommendation?

I will sometimes use the same bucket between two cars if they aren’t too dirty. But typically will do a new 2-3 gallons for it. Just the same as I would with shampoo. 

I don’t understand keeping a bucket mixed foe future use. It’s so cheap I would prefer to mix up less and make a new bucket each time. 

I definitely wouldn’t keep it around if I wasn’t using multiple towel method. 

Thank you for the input.

FYI I am doing pre-wash at the coin op using pressure washer then going back to my flat as it is nearby.

Changing the water between two cars means I have to go up to my flat change the water and go down, quite the exercise.  

Can I do something like 1.35 gallons for each car or it is below the minimum recommended?

53 minutes ago, sabotage said:

Thank you for the input.

FYI I am doing pre-wash at the coin op using pressure washer then going back to my flat as it is nearby.

Changing the water between two cars means I have to go up to my flat change the water and go down, quite the exercise.  

Can I do something like 1.35 gallons for each car or it is below the minimum recommended?

I don’t normally like the multiple towel method, but in this case it might make sense. You could easily wash two cars with about 8 towels and 2 gallons of water total.  You just need to deal with those microfibers after. 

if using a sponge with grit guard then I would find it hard to do with less than two gallons in the bucket but you can try.  

I'm with Redgrandam that I can't get myself to like the multiple-media method (not that I don't keep trying), but as he says, this is a good application for it.

I don't think there is a "minimum" amount of wash, except as noted you need about 2 gallons to get sufficiently above the grit guard (and I guess if you are doing a single bucket, the amount of solution may make a difference as far as diluting the "dirt".

I guess because I am old school, I like to use a rinse bucket with a grit guard that has about 2 gallons in it, and then I use a plain fresh solution bucket with no grit guard, that I can usually get away with a half gallon for a small, not-too-dirty car (no wheels).  If you do it that way and are careful, the solution bucket stays very clean, and you can certainly mix more than a half gallon, I just do that because I'm cheap.   I think in your situation where you have knocked off most of the dirt at the coin-op you will be fine however you decide to do it.

EDIT:  If that wasn't clear, that's just personal preference to change the solution between vehicles, I would feel bad if I marred my wife's car from using dirty media/solution from my car.  I'm sure you'll be fine washing 2 cars with the same bucket, especially since you are doing the coin-op blast off before hand.

20 minutes ago, Setec Astronomy said:

I'm with Redgrandam that I can't get myself to like the multiple-media method (not that I don't keep trying), but as he says, this is a good application for it.

I don't think there is a "minimum" amount of wash, except as noted you need about 2 gallons to get sufficiently above the grit guard (and I guess if you are doing a single bucket, the amount of solution may make a difference as far as diluting the "dirt".

I guess because I am old school, I like to use a rinse bucket with a grit guard that has about 2 gallons in it, and then I use a plain fresh solution bucket with no grit guard, that I can usually get away with a half gallon for a small, not-too-dirty car (no wheels).  If you do it that way and are careful, the solution bucket stays very clean, and you can certainly mix more than a half gallon, I just do that because I'm cheap.   I think in your situation where you have knocked off most of the dirt at the coin-op you will be fine however you decide to do it.

EDIT:  If that wasn't clear, that's just personal preference to change the solution between vehicles, I would feel bad if I marred my wife's car from using dirty media/solution from my car.  I'm sure you'll be fine washing 2 cars with the same bucket, especially since you are doing the coin-op blast off before hand.

My wife's car is an old banger :D My car is Estate and hers is Yaris, I guess when you combine the two it makes one SUV. I will just always wash mine first. 

there is no only 1 "right way" to wash cars - Optimum recommends 2 gallons in order to allow lots of clean solution as dirt falls to the bottom.  You can wash more than 1 car with that mix but trying so save the solution for days will result in a slimy, stinky bucket.  I've never bought into the multiple towel approach, finding that over sized sponges work easier. Ultimately find the system/method that works best for you...

I've washed multiple cars  with one bucket, especially at work where I might wash four or five in a day. At home, I've had the bucket start to stink, so I've gotten in the habit of just starting with a fresh bucket every day - unless the car is destroyed. 

I did a favorite for an old school mate of my gf and I. Her husband was selling his car and needed it washed. I was in the street and couldn't be moved.  I couldn't power wash the years of dirt and grime. I vacuumed the tree litter out of the crevices and proceeded with the ONR wash. It was so gross I didn't want to use my sponge, so I used one of the several yellow Kirkland "rags" I had to wash it. When I was done with that car, I think the ONR was too! I wouldn't have wanted to use that mix for a vehicle in better condition.  His was destroyed. I clayed it and used a cleaner wax to make it half way presentable for the sale. 

Also, ONR is pretty economical. Just makes sense to use new for the home user especially.