ONR vs Optimum Car Wash. Is one better?

3 hours ago, The Guz said:

It's a long nap with what they refer to as their coral fleece microfiber. 

I guess I didn't realize it had actual coral in it.  I'm going to stick with my bone-type MF sponges or muppet-head (microfiber chenille) and a rinse bucket.  Takes longer but safer, and no pile of towels to wash at the end.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a few of the Edgeless 500 towels which are very soft, long napped towels. But I find that they don’t slide easily when used to wipe a wet surface whether it be ONR or a QD. A folded towel tends to grab and almost roll up or come out of your hand when wiping. It kind of forces you to put more pressure against the surface than you feel comfortable with. Disappointing. 

A lot of people like those Eagle towels...but others say  they like lower nap lower GSM, like 360 or so.  The "rolling", for me, leads to getting other parts of the towel dirty, so when you fold, you don't have a completely clean surface.  As I've said, I've been trying to like the "bucket of towels" method for a long time, but I just don't.  Some people use a bucket of mitts, maybe I will try a "bucket of MF sponges", but that sure creates a lot of laundry.

ONR leaves polymers that are cumulative over time. Car wash does not leave anything behind.  - that is directly from Dr G.

A&J, I only use a BRS (and am about to try the Big Gold Sponge) for washes.  Have tried microfibers, mitts, etc and love the amount of ONR solution the sponge puts down.

17 hours ago, Setec Astronomy said:

I guess I didn't realize it had actual coral in it.  I'm going to stick with my bone-type MF sponges or muppet-head (microfiber chenille) and a rinse bucket.  Takes longer but safer, and no pile of towels to wash at the end.

Lol maybe that is why it marred the paint for you. 

16 hours ago, BradB said:

I just got a few of the Edgeless 500 towels which are very soft, long napped towels. But I find that they don’t slide easily when used to wipe a wet surface whether it be ONR or a QD. A folded towel tends to grab and almost roll up or come out of your hand when wiping. It kind of forces you to put more pressure against the surface than you feel comfortable with. Disappointing. 

I have some  eagle edgeless towels that I don't use that much anymore.  I used to do the multiple towel method with other rinseless washes and these are some of the best towels for that purpose.  With ONR I use the BRS.  With other rinseless washes I use a microfiber wash mitt and a two bucket system as ONR does a better job of encapsulating dirt in the bucket and take it to the bottom.  But there are times when I don't want anything left behind on the surface.

I don't use the eagle edgeless for QD as they tend to lint too much for my liking and don't do that nice of a job.  The TRC wizard which is 360 is a better towel for that. 

2 hours ago, The Guz said:

I used to do the multiple towel method with other rinseless washes...with ONR I use the BRS.  With other rinseless washes I use a microfiber wash mitt and a two bucket system  

You're making me feel better that I'm not the only one who doesn't like the multiple towel method, and lord knows I've tried to like it.

Ok then, the multi-towel method sucks. I have the BRS but boy, it is BIG and un-wieldy. And I have the Blue Sponge but the few raised dimples that touch the surface don't seem particularly effective. Tell us, Ron, what is the GOLD sponge? 

Thanks for the link. I haven't been in love with the BRS mainly because of the size. (I haven't really looked to see if I could cut it down without destroying it.) I would like a softer sponge but again the size is disconcerting. And at that price its a big risk, for me at least. Hmmm. 

Brad, since my favorite wash media in general is "The Bone", which is a microfiber covered sponge (it's a special "non-split" microfiber that's supposed to release the dirt), I also use that for rinseless.  It does hold a bit too much water, which is why I mentioned that I have a bunch of Meg's QD Sponges that I got at Big Lots when they stopped making them (in 2004, I think), that are similar but have a less dense sponge inside, which over time breaks down to leave more of a flat sponge, if you will.

Some guys use the MF mitts which are a similar microfiber material.  I have several but I'm not sure I've actually used any of them.  I will also use Muppet Head (microfiber chenille) wash sponges, they used to have microfiber terry on the back, but now they usually have a scrubber which is not so good, although I see Sonax is selling one with terry on the back.  Then of course there is a "madness" microfiber wash material this is supposed to be the best of all worlds, but it's very expensive.

Over at MFT they have all this stuff, their version of the "madness" (bright green) in a mitt and sponge, as well as a mitt and pad with the "Bone" material on it.  The pad is huge and feels rather stiff, I just bought a couple but haven't used them yet.

Even if products look the same, and smell the same, there can be a huge difference in how they perform (effectiveness and safety) so yes, we would need some opinions from detailers if that is a good enough wash medium? If the foam in that one is such that it doesn't trap the dirt "forever" then it might be a good one!?