Washing opti-coated car with two soaps?

wjax

I have a Tesla coated with Opti-coat pro that I wash with the aid of a pressure washer and foam cannon.    My routine is to rinse the car with the pressure washer, apply Opti-coat M-wash with a foam cannon,  let it dwell for 3-4 minutes, hand wash with M-wash in a single bucket w/ grit guard and BYS, and then do a final rinse with deionized water and let the car air dry.  This routine works well but I find that no matter how I adjust the foam cannon it uses too much of the relatively expensive M-wash if I want good thick foam.     So my question:  is it okay to substitute something much cheaper and pH-neutral like Meguires Gold in the foam cannon, let it dwell, rinse, and then hand wash with M-wash before doing a final rinse with deionized water?  

5 minutes ago, A&J said:

NO...using other manufacturers products will ban you from this forum :P

Of course you can...use whatever you like if it works for you.

LOL - thanks - I figured as much but since I don't really know the chemistry of the products I figured I better ask. ;)

Just a side note from personal experience with Gold Class.  It can mask the properties of a wax, sealant or coating.   I’ve experienced this with it and stopped using it.  

You can always get optimum car wash as well.   That is better among some others that I have used.   

47 minutes ago, The Guz said:

Just a side note from personal experience with Gold Class.  It can mask the properties of a wax, sealant or coating.   I’ve experienced this with it and stopped using it.  

You can always get optimum car wash as well.   That is better among some others that I have used.   

Good to know - thanks.

3 hours ago, The Guz said:

Just curious...did you do as I propose and finish with a hand wash using an Optimum product (M-wash in my case) after foaming with the Meguiars product?  I would wonder if that would mitigate the masking properties that you experienced with using the Meguiars Gold alone.

I'm not a fan of mixing different brands like this. Meguiars Gold Class definetely leaves glossing agents behind that may not be removed by washing afterwards with M-Wash. 

I also think Meguiars performs poorly on warmer days where it can dry and leave streaks behind. It does foam well, but the thickness of foam is very overrated in my experience. 

Optimum Car Soap is a great option as it's very cheap and foams incredibly well. It might be worth a look in this case. 

22 hours ago, wjax said:

Just curious...did you do as I propose and finish with a hand wash using an Optimum product (M-wash in my case) after foaming with the Meguiars product?  I would wonder if that would mitigate the masking properties that you experienced with using the Meguiars Gold alone.

I stopped using Gold Class long ago.  I ended up just using it a wheel soap.  The conditioners in the shampoo is what can mask the properties of an LSP.  Optimum Car Shampoo is better at this.  Plus Optimum Car Shampoo rinses cleaner and cleans better. 

I rarely bucket wash these days to begin with.  Rinseless is my main go to wash method.  Perhaps consider adopting ONR as well. 

Not tried Gold Class but if looking for an OPT alternative to the M wash then as suggested above, if you want foam then try the Optimum Car Wash or if not concerned about foam then spray with ONR.  Then maybe use the M wash for the hand wash section.  Or just alternate between the products to find which one suits you the most.

Dont know the benefits from M-wash over Car wash but if you can get 32oz of Car wash for less money than 16 oz. of M wash I dont know whats the point in using M wash. Car wash is a great car shampoo. There is nothing wrong with it.

2 hours ago, A&J said:

Dont know the benefits from M-wash over Car wash but if you can get 32oz of Car wash for less money than 16 oz. of M wash I dont know whats the point in using M wash. Car wash is a great car shampoo. There is nothing wrong with it.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.   FWIW, I washed the car yesterday with OCW in the foam cannon followed by a contact wash with the BYS and M-wash.  I finished with a rinse and light application of hyper seal.  The car looks amazing.  I think I might follow your suggestion and try doing the entire wash with OCW once I run out of M-wash.

BTW, does anyone have an opinion as to how often hyper seal should be applied to an opti-coated car?   Seems like I read somewhere that it is pretty long lasting and doesn't need to be applied after every wash.

5 hours ago, Lowejackson said:

I think this could be easily solved if OPT send us one of everything from this range so we can give a considered opinion :)

I think this quote from opti-coat.com store holds the answer to my question:

"With regular use, the added fluoropolymers will repel airborne heavy metal pollution and maintain the coated surface free of bonded contamination..."

4 hours ago, wjax said:

BTW, does anyone have an opinion as to how often hyper seal should be applied to an opti-coated car?   Seems like I read somewhere that it is pretty long lasting and doesn't need to be applied after every wash.

Once every 6-8 weeks should be reasonable.

Archived