Sponge dripping versus Soaked

Is there any particular reason why OPT training videos say to get the sponge just dripping versus dunking and getting it as soaked as you want?

im assuming because the product is a water saving product and many users use it indoors, that you’re simply wasting water??

im just curious in my ever hyper focused mind, thinking maybe in certain situations, could I just add a little bit more water to my bucket and really slop it on there to get the surface wetter and in my unscientific theory easier to clean without doing any ore treat or rinsing. 

I know this community is all for experimenting but I was just wondering if there is some greater reason as to not do this. Thanks! 

For that matter, I wonder if it would be good to modify how I use ONR:  for usual light dust/dirt, Mix with distilled water, liberally spray on the surface of my vehicle, let it dwell for 30 seconds to a minute, then gently wipe off with plush microfiber towels.  If dirt is heavier, resort to foam/rinse, then bucket wash with big black sponge and ONR, then microfiber dry.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Outback said:

For that matter, I wonder if it would be good to modify how I use ONR:  for usual light dust/dirt, Mix with distilled water, liberally spray on the surface of my vehicle, let it dwell for 30 seconds to a minute, then gently wipe off with plush microfiber towels.  If dirt is heavier, resort to foam/rinse, then bucket wash with big black sponge and ONR, then microfiber dry.

The beauty of ONR(and distilled products) is the ability to self diversify its uses. I find that 128:1 in a spray bottle applied liberally on bird bombs and a decent microfiber takes care of business with no noticeable scratches on my daily driver. 

my roundabout mind also is thinking okay apply more ONR per pass in the sponge to make my drying life easier  - Bc in my experience the sponge doesn’t leave the surface wet enuff for my comfort level of drying if that makes sense. Wet, but not wet enuff for my towel to glide smoothly. 

The phrase "over thinking it" is over used, but I feel that's what you're doing.  How much difference is there between "dunking the sponge" and "getting it as wet as you want"?  I've frequently recommended the BRS because it holds so much solution and there's nothing in the instructions trying to limit how much fluid you use.  Dunking, soaking, getting as wet as you want - all semantics.  How much ONR solution you apply is solely your decision...though I've had people complain that it makes a mess on their garage floor, which falls under the "you can't win" heading.

19 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

The phrase "over thinking it" is over used, but I feel that's what you're doing.  How much difference is there between "dunking the sponge" and "getting it as wet as you want"?  I've frequently recommended the BRS because it holds so much solution and there's nothing in the instructions trying to limit how much fluid you use.  Dunking, soaking, getting as wet as you want - all semantics.  How much ONR solution you apply is solely your decision...though I've had people complain that it makes a mess on their garage floor, which falls under the "you can't win" heading.

Hahaha if there was a world record for overthinking I’d be at least in second place. But as an over thinker I’m also an over worrier (if that even is a term) and so I find the impulse to check with the proper people when I can. 

you’re right and thank you

edit: in my obsessive overthinking I was having a lapse of judgment thinking maybe there is an issue with applying too much solution but that reallt doesn’t make sense now that I type it out lol

To paraphrase Ron, there is no "right" level of dampness in the wash media, it's up to you.  Usually I try to find a balance between wet enough to not grind the dirt into the paint (depends how dirty the car is), but not so wet as to run off onto places you don't want (like the panel you just finished drying).   There's certainly no harm in the having the wash media as wet as it will get, if that's better for your wash technique.

Since I probley  soak my car with more onr  than  any other person on this form lol  I guess  I better answer  this thread. 

First I rinse the car  with a hose so Ron is out of luck using this method right away lol . I keep my ik pro sprayer 9 filled with a couple of gallons of  onr at the recommended mix this thing is under 59 psi pressure and i soak the hole car you can get onr  in every gap maybe in my head I am pushing dirt out of these areas.  I then use several wash mitts soaking  in a bucket  of onr ( sorry no sponge) more than dripping wet and wash the hole car . Buy now onr  is running  down the car washing away dirt  I hope .   I now dry the  car if the onr is starting to dry it's time to use more onr lol. This time with onrww in a small weed sprayer  I spray  one panal at a time and dry  maybe I add a spray of optimum  spray wax .  The car comes out great . I cant see any problem using to much onr.  

A couple of days ago I tried mixing ONR 64:1 in my pump sprayer and using is as a waterless wash. Idk if there’s really any benefit to doing that over 256:1 as long as your soaking the panel well enough. But it was fun to soak the panels a whole lot. 
then I simply wet one side of my towel and then used it like a waterless wash mitt. 

i guess the logic with the 64:1 is my mix is stronger and I can use it more like a rinseless/waterless hybrid where instead of wipe, swipe, and flip the towel is now a wash mitt. And I figure if 256:1 and a sponge is safe then a hyper strong mix should allow me to glide across as a waterless method without a thought  (the other “benefit” is that it doesn’t have the same gloss enhancers as Opti-clean so if you didn’t want that shine and protect from OC you could use ONR)

Since you’re soaking it down you may like this method idk just wanted to share lol. Just another way that ONR is the most versatile tool a detailer can own. 

I like the idea of getting the car panal  or the hole car in my case with a layer of onr befor I do my contact wash   my mix is probley on the strong side .  My car is gloss coated with layers of hypear seal and wax my wash mitts just slide over the paint no scratching or marring.  Onr is a amazing product just got the new formula have not used it yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yvan mentioned in one of his recent videos the reason you don't want the sponge too saturated is because the dirt won't stick to the sponge. I don't know how much it matters in practice (wouldn't the dirt just run off the car then?) but that's his reasoning.

Interesting 

As you now i use  alot of onr i don't use the sponge  I use wash mitts the dirt sticks to them like sh to a blanket (for those guys that have kids ) I then grab a clean one .  Maybe with the sponge it could be different.  

2 hours ago, ryeguy said:

Yvan mentioned in one of his recent videos the reason you don't want the sponge too saturated is because the dirt won't stick to the sponge. I don't know how much it matters in practice (wouldn't the dirt just run off the car then?) but that's his reasoning.

He also said to be diligent with 256:1 and that higher dilutions won’t increase power  but that’s contrary to what I’ve learned on this forum ,& would defeat the idea of ONR QD. Yvan is very smart, but he seems very ?stubborn? For lack of a word in his methodology sometimes 

2 hours ago, Habs said:

Interesting 

As you now i use  alot of onr i don't use the sponge  I use wash mitts the dirt sticks to them like sh to a blanket (for those guys that have kids ) I then grab a clean one .  Maybe with the sponge it could be different.  

To each their own. I don’t have a big red sponge I have an ultra black and I’m suspicious the BRS may somehow hold dirt during passes better. 

i think the multiple mitt /towel is good for soft expensive paint for your mind —but ONR is supposed to be Uber safe so I think the multi media methods can sometimes just be overkill. There’s a video by “the paint corrector” on YouTube busting ONR myths and he takes a microfiber, rubs in some dirt and then with ONR rubs it all over a perfectly corrected spot of paint and it induces no marring nor scratching. 

I see no reason you couldn’t use a single quality towel as long you’re dunking it in your ONR frequently and using a liberal amount of product.  I’ll post the link to the video if anyone’s interested