Optimum Opti Glass Clean & Protect Concentrate with windshield wiper fluid?

emperors61

Hi,

To better maintain the opti glass coating (consumer version) on my exterior glass surfaces I was wondering if I could add the Optimum Opti Glass Clean & Protect Concentrate at the right dilution rate to my windshield wiper fluid?  Also, would it work with various winter windshield wiper fluids as well?

It's not recommended for several reasons - it would be hard to get the concentration right leading to potential over application, it could cause chemical separation, and there might be wiper chatter due to slickness.  I have no idea how it might react with various wiper fluids because (1) it's not it's purpose, (2) there are too many fluid varieties/compositions, and (3) we don't test competitors products.  If you want an additive, try ONR with wiper fluid (one with antifreeze), it cleans the glass/wipers and has no negative issues with blades. I've used it that way for years. 

Something I've noticed is that aggressive window cleaners like P & S Double Black or Stoner Invisible Glass clean well but leave the glass with a sandpaper feel (towels make audible "scratchy" noises during / after drying).  OptiPro Glass Clean and Protect, while not quite as aggressive at cleaning, does leave the glass feeling much smoother and (for my Subaru) doesn't have issues with its Bosch Focus wiper blades (gave up on Subaru wipers as they frequently wear out and chatter).

For concentration, I can make my own mixture and empty the current system and refill. I'm thinking to just use isopropyl alcohol (which is more friendly for the environment) and distilled water mixture (to lower the freezing point) with either ONR or the opti glass clean & protect concentrate as the cleaner component. All the winter windshield wiper fluids I have tried either streak, use methanol, or have some other negative [smell, useless color, staining, etc]. I don't see any negatives to this approach, I'll make a mixture and try it out in the cold before putting it in the car.

I'm not getting the environmental distinction between methanol and IPA, although I believe IPA is safer for humans (via skin absorption...it's certainly safer to drink).

It's also much more difficult to depress the freezing point of your water mixture with IPA vs. methanol.  A chart I found shows 24% methanol to get to 0°F, while you need 40% IPA to get to the same point.  I'm not sure where you live, but if you live in Wisconsin and want to get to -20F, you'll need 70% IPA vs. 35-40% methanol.

At any rate, sound like a cool experiment, let us know how it works out.  The reason I'm harping on the alcohol/temperature thing is I've never bought alcohol-based commercial wiper fluid that actually made it down to the temp shown on the bottle without freezing.  The propylene glycol ones seem to be more "honest". 

I've done further research, and found out what you mentioned about the concentration of IPA needing to be much higher, which increases its flammability. I've also dug deeper into methanol, and seeing you could mix it with propylene glycol to get a lower freezing point with less methanol. However, further reading on methanol toxicity, seems to indicate ethanol based windshield fluid is best. That's why I used to use SONAX NanoPro Xtreme which was an ethanol blend, but that is no longer available in North America. My stash has almost run out.

I'll look for a suitable replacement wiper fluid to mix with the Opti Glass cleaner concentrate  or try to make something ethanol based that is no worse in concentration than what's commercially used.

As for winter driving, I usually plan to visit Montreal, Toronto, and possibly Quebec City this year. So I need to handle -20C (-4F) or much colder.

I'm not sure why for a washer fluid the toxicity is an issue, it should mostly evaporate, and if you're worried about it washing down into a storm drain, I'm not sure the fish are really going to like the ethanol any more than the methanol.  As far as the flammability, you've already got gasoline in your engine compartment, albeit in a higher quality piping system.  My recollection is ethanol is difficult to buy (other than in a liquor store), and of course all alcohols are in short supply now due to the demand for sanitizers.  Perhaps Bacardi 151 washer fluid?

what a waste of Bacardi 151 (some funky memories of that stuff).  Methanol is a serious chemical used for heavy duty cleaning in aerospace (MEK).  I would think you can find windshield fluid with antifreeze that would keep the solution from freezing.  Let us know how it works adding ONR or Opti-Glass.