Opti Clean Questions

Thank you Ron for this very quick reply.

Good to know that my gallon of concentrate will not degrade, but I am specifically asking about an 'unused' service.  Say that I apply OOC to the metal side of my refrigerator, and then slide the fridge back into its spot between the cabinets.  The treated side will not be touched in any way until I pull the fridge back out of its cubby.  No wear/wash activity at all.  Only time and exposure to ambient indoor atmosphere.  Does the polymer coating degrade (oxidize?) over the course of days, weeks, months or years?

Again, thanks for your help......................... Frank

Once again, thank you for your help............................. Frank

My use of the expression 'polymer coating' comes from the Optimum product description:

Opti-Clean is a revolutionary product that is specially formulated to clean and protect all automotive surfaces safely and efficiently without using any water. A combination of substantive polymers and cleaners safely removes dirt and grime and leaves a glossy protective finish on all automotive surfaces.

Good question, Frank!

I was wondering a bit about shelf life, but I've been flying through the Opti-Clean faster than I though I would. We also use it around the house. 

I have a gallon of ONR 256:1 for general day to day use, and Opti-Clean for things like stainless steel appliances. 

I did end up with a few gallons of Car Wax, but they stays in a cooler, stable environment. 

Yes, stainless steel appliances.  That, and our granite counter tops, is how I mostly use in in the  household.

Just wondering about those surfaces that have little to no touching.  How long until I should consider re-applying?

Thanks for sharing your experience with the product...................... Frank

Good points.  Household items like granite countertops, acrylic sinks or stainless steel appliances actually have very few "modern" product protection options available to consumers.  Nearly everything I've found is oil or wax based that last a very short time.  I've used several Optimum products, especially their glass coating, for protecting those products including porcelain, with decent results, but it's definitely an "off label" usage.

Frank the confusion may be thinking polymers left behind are a "coating" - in Optimum language a coating is ceramic/wax/sealant.  Gloss left behind by ONR/Opti-Clean is just that, gloss.  It may have short term hydrophobic characteristics, but it is not protection.

A difference in semantics, of course.  But if there is a shine, there is something there that wasn't there before.  I was simply wondering how often I should recoat (oops.... reapply) to keep it shiny.  🙂

Mr. Outback, I have  had great success using Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect on my granite countertops.  Love the look, slickness and ease of wiping up organic spills.  But I bought a bunch of OOC, hoping I'd be happy using OOC on both silicon based and Fe based household stuff.

Frank

• 1 month later...

Will there someday be a version of Optimum Opti-Clean specifically designed to support Opti-Coatings (Pro3, Pro+, etc)?   I learned today from Ivan my present wash method, spraying ONR on my mildly dirty vehicle and then gently wiping it off with microfiber towels, was a very bad idea.  He suggested usual method of bucket / black sponge /onr solution, but this is kind of a pain at times.  I'd like to use true waterless wash, but don't want to "mess up" the Opti-Coat repellent properties (most competitors use SiO2 or other additives).  Suggestions?  Or will present Opti-Clean do fine on the Opti-coat coatings?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually yes it would. Not OID but if you add 1-2 ounce of opti clean per gallon of watter it will dramatically make the wash mitt or sponge slicker, paint will bead more so the drying process will be easyer...infact Ive learnt that 2oz. of opti clean per gallon of watter makes a pretty good rinseless wash

I see no advantage to adding OID to Opti-Clean or ONR - they are both stronger cleaners than OID and not only would it's gloss be diluted but would be very short term.

Interesting that OC can be a "good" rinseless wash and ONR can be a decent waterless wash...just get the dilution right.