Am I Doing Too Much?

berchman

My method for doing a rinseless wash of my BMW i4 -40 is to first use a foam cannon or a Marolex foamer with 5-1 Power Clean on the lower 1/4 of the car and the wheels. I wash that off with a power washer and then spray the car with Opti Coat No Rinse 256-1 using a Marolex sprayer. I do two panels at a time (the entire hood and bumper, for example). Then I use the black sponge on two panels at a time and wipe dry. After completing the body I spray the wheels and tires with Opti Coat No Rinse, use a brush on the tire and microfiber on the wheel. This all takes me 2½ hours. At the same time I see YouTube videos where people are doing a rinseless wash of a large SUV in 30 minutes. Am I doing more than necessary?

The car looks great after I clean it, but, of course, that's due to the 5 layer Optimum ceramic coating.

It really depends how dirty, and your comfort level. Just to do a basic wash 2.5 hours seems like a lot for me, sounds more like detail level washes. In the winter I just do what is needed. The deeper cleans I get into in the spring. 

The pre foam and rinse can be helpful if it’s really bad, but not always needed on the whole car. Sometimes just the bottom of the panels maybe. 

there are many videos of people washing in 20-30 mins. I usually average around that. But it depends on your pace too. 

to me it depends on why you go through those steps (foamer, power washer, etc) - is it a need to be that thorough, is it cathartic and brings you satisfaction, is it boredom?  You don't mention how often and it's hard to imagine the BMW gets that dirty, but maybe it's necessary to get the results you desire. Since you're asking, I don't own a foamer and rarely use power washer.  Cleaning my cars is a mental health exercise for me - nice day, good music, my dog, physical labor, cold beer, and when done, a beautiful clean vehicle I'm proud to drive.  But ultimately the goal is to get finished, take that dog and beer to sit on the deck enjoying the lake I live on.  We all have different needs -

On 12/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

to me it depends on why you go through those steps (foamer, power washer, etc) - is it a need to be that thorough, is it cathartic and brings you satisfaction, is it boredom?  You don't mention how often and it's hard to imagine the BMW gets that dirty, but maybe it's necessary to get the results you desire. Since you're asking, I don't own a foamer and rarely use power washer.  Cleaning my cars is a mental health exercise for me - nice day, good music, my dog, physical labor, cold beer, and when done, a beautiful clean vehicle I'm proud to drive.  But ultimately the goal is to get finished, take that dog and beer to sit on the deck enjoying the lake I live on.  We all have different needs -

When I brought the car for a free instructional detail to the detailer who had ceramic coated it, this is what he did. That is my only reason for doing all that. Much of the car just has dust on it, but the lower parts, especially the rear, show dirt, especially if I have driven on a wet road. No, the car does not get *that* dirty, so I do this maybe every ten days. What should be the bottom line? Just spray with Optimum No Rinse, then wash with the sponge?

by the way, just saw the i4 picked as Car & Drivers Car of the Year, congratulations (sounds like an awesome car)!  Your ceramic installer did that as part of the prep, but it's not necessary to use foamers/power washers on a regular basis.  I suggest you mix a bottle of ONR into a pre-spray/instant detailer (1 oz to 16 oz of water).  You can use this to pre-treat before a bucket wash OR as a quick detailer when the i4 is just lightly dirty - spray and wipe.  If you foam/power wash several times per year you'll keep your car in pristine condition.

5 hours ago, Ron@Optimum said:

by the way, just saw the i4 picked as Car & Drivers Car of the Year, congratulations (sounds like an awesome car)!  Your ceramic installer did that as part of the prep, but it's not necessary to use foamers/power washers on a regular basis.  I suggest you mix a bottle of ONR into a pre-spray/instant detailer (1 oz to 16 oz of water).  You can use this to pre-treat before a bucket wash OR as a quick detailer when the i4 is just lightly dirty - spray and wipe.  If you foam/power wash several times per year you'll keep your car in pristine condition.

Yes, I think it's a great car and my last one, since I'll be 85 next month and I keep my cars a long time.

BMW i4-M Sport 40-1.JPG

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2022 at 11:27 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

Good to know about the ONR pretreat stage. I've been doing that for a few months now (IK sprayer loaded with your pre-treat ONR dilution) followed by a normal ONR wash via either thick microfiber wash mitt or black grooved sponge, then plush microfiber dry.   FYI the Youtube channel DIY DETAIL usually hosted by Yvan offers many other useful detailing tips.

It seems like you have a thorough and effective rinseless wash routine for your BMW i4-40, which involves using high-quality products and tools. The end result of a clean and shiny car is a testament to the effort you put into the wash process. That being said, it's possible that you may be spending more time and effort than necessary for a rinseless wash. The time it takes to wash a car depends on various factors, such as the size of the car, the level of dirt and grime, and the condition of the paint. It's important to note that different people have different approaches and preferences when it comes to car washing, and what works for one person may not work for another. While some people prefer to take their time and go through a thorough wash routine, others may prefer a quicker and simpler approach. If you're happy with the results you're getting from your current wash routine and don't mind spending the extra time, then there's no need to change it

Your last sentence is exactly right, there's no single way to maintain your car, it's very personal decision.  The time and effort anyone invests in car care is determined by their priorities and standards.  Berchman stated his procedures were based on an instructional video provided by the ceramic installer - that's a perfect world plan.  if I had that beautiful car, I'd prefer to spend my time driving it vs. washing...but that's just me!