HYPER SEAL - ULTRA CERAMIC SEAL TEST

Ron@Optimum

I promised the Optimum Forum to do a product comparison of Hyper Seal and Ultra Ceramic:

Last weekend I washed/detailed 2 cars. The first was washed with ONR (5th revision) and Ultra Ceramic Seal was used as a drying aid.  No problems and Ultra went on easily with no streaking.  This car had Opti-Coat Pro applied 8+ years ago, but it's still present. The 2nd car washed with ONR V5, then 1/2 had Ultra Ceramic applied as drying aid and the other Hyper Seal (new version).  This car has had a graphene coating applied (2 years ago) and has regular Hyper Seal applications. There was no difference in application ease or streaking.  

Observations - I see no difference in gloss or shine - I used a spotlight and bright sunlight.  Truthfully I frequently don't see differences some point out and question the power of suggestion...or could be old eyes? There was a tangible difference in slickness - Ultra was noticeably slicker (made Hyper feel almost grabby in comparison).  Both bead water but Ultra's were smaller.  Also, when old version Hyper Seal was sprayed on beads, they disintegrate (used to demo that), but the new formula does not.  Curious if that's an effect from ceramic components? When Ultra is sprayed on beads they disintegrate/sheet.  That might indicate a difference in hydrophobics?  I much preferred the Ultra sprayer, allowed better control of product applied. 

I will monitor which sheds dirt the best and durability (to the best of my ability). 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

@Ron@Optimum how has the Ultra Ceramic Seal been holding up? When you applied it, what was your method? One spray per panel, directly to the paint or into a towel first etc.

I have a customer who wants some protection but not willing to pay for a coating so I was thinking of getting some of the Ultra Ceramic Seal.

So far so good - have had road trips and lots of rain so have maintained with new Optimum Waterless Wash & Shine and Ultra still looks great - is slick AND beads water like a demon!  I applied it as a drying aid, spray on wet panel then dry. Short of ceramic coating, Ultra or Hyper Seal are very close to spray on ceramics. On my garage queen I primed a microfiber and sprayed directly on the paint.  Since the little beauty rarely gets out, can't speak to durability, but it sure is shiny!

Sounds awesome thank you! I went ahead and ordered Hyper Seal before you had responded so I’ll be applying that to my customers car. Brand new BMW I5 in Vegas Red. I’ll probably apply it after drying the paint.

Any tips on working with Hyper Seal?

Easy to apply and easy to use too much (specially with it's sprayer) - prime the  pad/towel, then a couple sprays on the paint - spread until the applicator gets grabby, then add another spray or 2. If it streaks you're using too much...easy to remove streaks with an ONR dampened MF. Use on every surface (except rubber, doesn't bond) - paint, glass, plastic, metal, vinyl, etc

@Ron@Optimumused the 2nd gen hyper seal today on a new customers car. Regular ONR wash and used the Hyper Seal on a wet panel. 2 sprays into my drying towel to prime and a 1/4 pull of the trigger. The water was vanishing. I couldn’t believe it. I thought opti seal was a cheat code but this stuff rocks. The trigger sprayer stinks. I’ll be transferring into an old opti seal bottle.

On 4/3/2024 at 9:37 PM, AutoLabTN said:

@dlc95 did you apply with an applicator? 

I did.

I did my cousin's car almost a year ago, and hers is still working well too. I just saw it on Easter Sunday. 

I've been using the spray and wipe method at work though. I feel like I use too much, but it's really efficient to just light spray, spread out, and wipe off. 

I'll probably end up going back to the applicator before long though. I like that I can really get a nice thin film of it spread out.  Great product for sure. 

@Ron - related question!

If I apply Hyper Seal after a wash, that should give several solid months of protection.  In the event of a buildup of road grime, I usually spray with some 5:1 Power Clean and then rinse w/ ONR+BRS.  You previously said that's not an issue with OGC, but since (as I understand) Hyper Seal isn't as strong of a bond with the clear coat, what effect does OPC have?