Optimum No Rinse in hot weather

I am using Meguiars D114 rinseless wash with distilled water. As I wash a black car, and the liquid evaporates it leaves nothing.

I am curious if I can use ONR with normal hose water and not have to worry about any streaks or water spots as the heat evaporates the liquid? I thought because of the water softening ability, I would not need the distilled water. Or will it require a damp towel wipe?

I always say its better do wash in a shaded place, or early in the morning or late in the afternoon instead in the middle of the day when the sun is at its peak.

In my experience ONR does leave some water spots behind because the water evaporates quickly but those spots are easily removed with a spritz of QD and a microfiber towel. People here will also say that those spots are polymers left behind and not dirt or water.

The key to working in the sun or in hot climate is to work in a smaller area and dry it immediately. So basicly do 1/4 of a roof (for example) instead of 1/2 and dry as you go.

This is a good presentation on how to use ONR on a black car while working in the sun.

I hope it helps.

I am using Meguiars D114 rinseless wash with distilled water. As I wash a black car, and the liquid evaporates it leaves nothing.

I am curious if I can use ONR with normal hose water and not have to worry about any streaks or water spots as the heat evaporates the liquid? I thought because of the water softening ability, I would not need the distilled water. Or will it require a damp towel wipe?

Well, you're drying the car, right? Work in small sections and dry it and you should be fine. I know, I know...the towel always leaves some little trails, that when they dry leave some "spots". So if you used distilled water, those spots are going to made up of the wash product, and a little leftover dirt. If you don't used distilled water, the spots will also have some minerals in them. Should they wipe off? Yes, as A&J noted.

Personally I can't imagine how if you leave D114 on the car and it dries, it leaves "nothing", unless you have wiped it all away, it's gotta leave "something". I mean it's not distilled water, it's distilled water with D114 in it, and some "dirt". However, if your technique is good, the "dirt" should be minimal. If you're using a single-bucket as my buddy Darren in the video above is using, once you get past the first panel, there will definitely be some "dirt" in your solution.

I really do mean it leaves nothing...no streak nothing to wipe.

I use Garry Dean Method with 1 oz D114 and 1 Gallon Distilled water.

I wipe panel until its clean, and the heat evaporates everything leaving a streak free clean surface.

All the Dirt is in the towel now.

So I was just curious if I can use ONR with normal hose water and get the same result, but I'm assuming from what you guys have been saying that even with Distilled Water + ONR, it will still leave some time of streak or polymer spots which require another wipe.

Well if you buff it dry straight after washing its not gonna be an issue (It will take you an extra 5 sec to wipe dry with a microfiber towel). Sure you will get a better result using distilled water instead of tap water and yes ONR has some water softening ability but its not gonna make it as pure as distilled water.

Simple test. Wash your car with D114 and tap water and see what it leaves behind than do the same with ONR.

I have a quart sample of D114, but I only used it a couple of times and haven't used it for a couple of years (still trying to use up my V.2 ONR). I would say to be apples to apples you will need the distilled water. But what do I know, I haven't even used V.3 ONR (other than ONRWW). You can get an 8oz ONR on Amazon Prime (presuming you are a member) to try out, without risking too much.

Archived