OC 3

Perhaps some time somebody could share a proper coating test procedure (or post a link to an explanation of one)?  The Youtube gang pretty much uses the same process - foam, rinse, foam/wash, rinse again.

My Pro+ will start sheeting if my car has road film and/or dirt on it; a signal  that it's time to clean up, which so far brings the original performance back.

Dirt will build up at the same rate if you drive your vehicle a set amount. If it rains, some of the dirt comes off. If it snows salt will splatter. Dirt accumulation is predictable. Choose and interval of frequency and stay close to it. Once a month, every 6, 8, 10, 12 weeks...whatever your little heart desires. A coating does not need to be wash as frequently as a non coating. There is not test you can do to show if the coating I there. You can decon it and remove the suck in Dirt which when you are done will look like the car was polished. That is the only true "test". You cannot put acid or run water over the coating and knownif its still there. If you have an opti coating and it has been installed properly then the coating is still there.  I do decons all the time on a coating and everytime I'm done it looks like the day it was installed.  These YouTube guys just copy and paste what the other guys have done. Even detailers in my area think spraying water on their coated hood and watching it bead shows the coating is still there. It's just the downside of growing up with a steady diet of YouTube detailers. Those of us who didn't grow up with it use our hands and we don't listen to what those guys are doing. If it's on you tube chances are those guys don't detail professionally or install coatings professionally so they really wouldn't know but since they have 100k subscribers they must be right

I can tell you how to know the coating is there. Just go look at it. If it still looks glossy then it's there. You cant see beading when it is clean and sitting in the sun glowing like a red hot coal. If we just use our eyes instead of listening to all of the white noise coming from these weekend detailers who have no clue what they are talking about

We wouldn't listen to a guy in his garage with craftsman tools working on engines with the same level of confidence that we would an ASE certified master technician. These weekend detailers are the same level as a non professional mechanic. He has 500 hours of detailing knowledge and those as oppose to the pro who has well over 50,000 hours. We see things in a much better light than the weekenders

I've been following Scott HD's Pro Coating test...was excited to see results, even though I've questioned his "unbiased" tests before. The only thing he's testing is hydrophobics and that's just one feature of ceramics and beading is not the only proof of a coating.  Obviously it's the easiest to see, but only if you buy beading the the alpha & omega of ceramic coatings. 

1 minute ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I've been following Scott HD's Pro Coating test...was excited to see results, even though I've questioned his "unbiased" tests before. The only thing he's testing is hydrophobics and that's just one feature of ceramics and beading is not the only proof of a coating.  

I understand that more than likely a coating should bead. The issue with me is that he has not been trained with Opti that I am aware plus the fact that pro 3 is a sheeting coating makes the beading test completely irrelevant 

For Scott or anyone to say a lack of beading is Proof of "wear" is a myth. Since there are more enthusiasts oj this forum than pros I don't want there to be misinformation being spread around. I call it as I see it. It's not personal and I'm not upset with anyone but a coating is something to reduce the workload. These "test" don't hold any water and they prove nothing. If you want to know if your coating is intact don't wash it for 6 months and then wash it. You will see the gloss return after being covered under all that dirt and the contrast will be noticeable from before and after. Many enthusiasts keep their car so clean which is fine but they never see the dirt cover the gloss, therefore the gloss becomes so "normal" that they almost don't even notice it anymore and are not sure if the money they spent or the work they did was worth it. Or if that was the right coating. When you let the dirt build up and then clean it you will see the gloss more intensly becuase it was dingy for so long. Anyway, I wrote a blog on this topic if anyone wanted to read it. 

www.wowoautodetailing.com 

The blog is called, To bead or not to bead...

• 4 weeks later...

Scott HD's 1 year Pro testing milestone.  Am still puzzled why Pro+ and Pro3 are having issues there (steady sun exposure?).  Pro+ on my vehicle's much better though it does get Hyper-sealed every 3 months and vehicle's mostly in garage.     

12 hours ago, Mr.Outback said:

Scott HD's 1 year Pro testing milestone.  Am still puzzled why Pro+ and Pro3 are having issues there (steady sun exposure?).  Pro+ on my vehicle's much better though 

I watched the video. He bases his entire opinion on how fast the water beads up. Some panels bead very quickly others take a little longer. Maybe 10 to 30 seconds. Nevertheless, almost every panel shed water and only beads were left. A few of them stayed at sheeting condition u til he dried the surface with air. Outback, why do you think Pro plus and Pro 3 are "having issues"? Is it because Scott said they were having issues? Pro 3 is designed to sheet. Just becuase Pro plus did not bead as fast as most of the other ones means nothing. Not one pro coating on the market is designed to have a bead race. As in, manufacturers do not say, let's make our coating bead instantly all the time. That would be a pointless goal and impossible.  If you compare a freshly installed coating to a freshly repainted vehicle, the repaint would win the bead challenge every time. Which means the new paint has less contamination on it then the coating does. Contamination is what prevents beading. On the other hand, some coatings will never really bead all that much or will sheet first and leave beads behind...like pro 3. Pro 3 will never bead initially. It will only sheet becuase it was created on purpose that way. If a coating did bead and now sheeting has started, it does not mean that the coating is "weak" or showing "wear". It just means it may be contaminated and needs an MDR and ferrex wash and then it will snap right back to its former glory. Not all coatings are created equal. Some will bead less than others some will bead more than others. Ease of clean is the whole point in a coating. Blocking off a few squares on a hood and then seeing which one beads the most proves absolutely nothing. If someone wants to have a better test, they would coat half of their car and not the other half and then you could have a real world hands on comparison of which one is easier to clean and which one looks better. Form your own opinion and stop inheriting other people's opinion including mine. Form your own. The guys on YouTube have inherited opinions from other youtubers which are inaccurate. 

Pro+ on my vehicle sheets water off immediately or at worst within a second, leaving beads behind.  It gets ONR'ed every 1 - 2 weeks, maintenance washed with M wash and Ferrex every 3 months, hyper-sealed every 3 months.

Scott HD treats his Pro+ with Honeydew Snowfoam wash - no other maintenance.

In beginning of his test, his Pro+ performance was similar to mine.  A year later, it's far inferior.

Perhaps there's buildup on his coating that the snowfoam does  not clean off?  Minerals or oily dirt, perhaps?

IMHO Pro+ has helped keep my vehicle clean and shiny.  I can't comment on Pro+ as to have it installed would risk ruining my clear coat (Pro+'s 2nd coating - I could not get Pro+ in my area because of Optimum dealer "exclusivity" restrictions ).

I have been monitoring Scott's videos and providing updates to Dr G, but realized the only thing Scott is testing is water beading...and even there his observations seem arbitrary (I don't see what he sees sometimes).  A ceramic coating is so much more than hydrophobics - gloss, resistance to dirt/chemicals, durability, hardness, etc.

FYI, Outback, I've had Opti-Coat Pro (5 year product) on a car for 8 years and it looks like it did when Yvan applied it - with only really minor micro-marring evident and still great shine.

1 minute ago, Ron@Optimum said:

I have been monitoring Scott's videos and providing updates to Dr G, but realized the only thing Scott is testing is water beading...and even there his observations seem arbitrary (I don't see what he sees sometimes).  A ceramic coating is so much more than hydrophobics - gloss, resistance to dirt/chemicals, durability, hardness, etc.

I could not agree more, Ron.

On a side note, Ron, did you see that Chicago auto Pros is doing a test similar to Scott and pro was used along with other coatings. You should watch that video as well