First time ONR user! QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS!

Don'tSink

A couple of months ago I ended up buying my first car, nothing spectacular, but for me, all I need. 

With winter approaching I really wanted to keep my car salt free and clean but spending $15-20 everytime I wanted to wash my car was outside of my budget. Recently I found out about ONR and researched it as much as I could, prior to giving it a go.

After my first wash. These are the following troubles I ran into. I've searched the webs and I haven't seen anything similar to what I experienced. For everyone asking the car in question was covered in road salt, I gave it a hosedown with a garden hose and presoak with ONR.  A 5 Gal bucket (3 gallon solution)with a grit gaurd and the UBS was used.

1. The water got dirty/dark fast. Nearing the end, the water was pitch black. When applying ONR, the left over ONR on the panel was also dark in colour, I know it's encapsulated but just seems like I was washing my car with dirty water. 

2. I noticed that after I went over a section (2-3 times) with ONR and let it linger for too long, there would be white streaking. I'm assuming that's the road salt drying back up.

3. When drying the car, the that was ONR left on the panels was clearly not clean and dark in colour (as mentioned in 1.). The drying towel was picking up the dirty ONR left behind on the car, After I finished drying the car and went to wash the drying towel, when I took the towel to the sick I noticed the water coming out of the towel was filthy/dark. My light grey drying towel had visible dirt in it.

Not sure if I did something wrong or if this is normal. This is definitely a learning curve. The help is appreciated!

Some of us use a rinse bucket so most of that dirt winds up in the rinse bucket, not back in the wash bucket.  It's a variant of the "two-bucket method" or 2BM used for conventional wash.  When doing rinseless I usually use a smaller wash bucket at full strength, with a rinse bucket at half strength.  Put your wash media in the clean bucket, do a section, then rinse in the rinse bucket, scrub against grit guard (if using a washboard) and squeeze out well, then return the media to the wash bucket.

If I'm washing a fairly clean car (no wheels) I usually use 1/2 gal in the wash bucket and 2 gallons in the rinse bucket (to get above the grit guard).  For a winter wash you'll likely need a gallon or more of wash.  And yes, it's a challenge with the salt to get it off the car and avoid streaking.

when starting with a really dirty car or one with heavy road salt buildup, you probably need something with more power than a garden hose, or be prepared to go over multiple times.  You can use a power washer at home or sprayers available at drive in self serve washes to remove the worst of the grime, before doing the rinseless wash.  If your drying towel is getting very dirty, you need to make another pass with the UBS.  If sections are streaking, do smaller areas and then dry. 

• 3 months later...

Hi-

Just joined and I'm interested in buying  OTP.  I just got the Optimum power wash - its been my experience that when using a specific vendor's product, if they make a prep for it - go with their formula.  My question is - does anyone have a reasonably priced source for the OTP?  I'm seeing $18 for the 8oz, plus $10 for shipping.  That seems excessive.  I don't expect free shipping, but $10 seems high.  Also - does anyone know if any of the national chains carries these products?

Thanks, 

Charles M

On 12/13/2021 at 8:31 AM, Setec Astronomy said:

Some of us use a rinse bucket so most of that dirt winds up in the rinse bucket, not back in the wash bucket.  It's a variant of the "two-bucket method" or 2BM used for conventional wash.  When doing rinseless I usually use a smaller wash bucket at full strength, with a rinse bucket at half strength.  Put your wash media in the clean bucket, do a section, then rinse in the rinse bucket, scrub against grit guard (if using a washboard) and squeeze out well, then return the media to the wash bucket.

If I'm washing a fairly clean car (no wheels) I usually use 1/2 gal in the wash bucket and 2 gallons in the rinse bucket (to get above the grit guard).  For a winter wash you'll likely need a gallon or more of wash.  And yes, it's a challenge with the salt to get it off the car and avoid streaking.

For me it's  just easier  to use one bucket with onr and multiple microfiber wash mitts when it gets dirty just grab a fresh one . Dont have to worry about any of this dirt transfer to the paint. Some times when the car is  realy dirty  it takes 3 or 4 mitts you have to wash one mitt or five no real difference.  Also any left over one can be used again . Just my way that makes me comfortable