Weird staining on backboard van interior

Using OCFCP @1:3 foamed with an IK 12, I got these van's seats back from the dead. These were naaaaaastyyyyyyy.

Now the weird thing is, the overspray has stained the painted(?) metal backboard behind the seats. I haven't had this problem this bad before, but I did notice it before. I wiped the foam off right away, but noticed it had turned yellow. The backboard was cleaned with ONR already, so it probably wasn't dirt.

20220329-161627.jpg

20220329-161635.jpg

20220329-161640.jpg

I tried Power Clean and OCFCP again to see if I can remove it, but that didn't work.

What happened here and how do we prevent/cure it?

Dr G's suggestion (sounds like you already tried it) - dip microfiber in concentrated Fabric & Carpet Cleaner to see if it dissolves the overspray.  I'm wondering if the protectant in OCFCP is whats streaking?

I know it's power stuff.  Before Optimum put it in stronger bottles had container leak in a cabinet and eat into the wood.

Thanks for the quick reply, Ron!

Wow, didn't know that OCFCP was this powerful. It doesn't irritate on the skin one bit, even if let to dry. I noticed staining on glass sometimes as well, but that seemed to be the protectant. With some effort it could be removed. 

On the backboard pictured above I tried ONR concentrate to no effect. Also Hyper Polish didn't do the trick. I guess it's permanent damage. Tomorrow I may try to replicate the problem and film it.

Anyway, I'll have to think of something to minimize overspray. Maybe apply it with a soaked towel/mitt. I'll keep you updated!

Today I tried to replicate the problem, on the same backboard even, but wasn't able to! I think I figured out the problem;

Yesterday was the first day after a 3 week hiatus. I think the OCFCP had seperated, like it does over time, but I didn't shake it before use. Today I did shake it and it didn't stain after a minute of dwell time.

It did leave a bit of residue, but an ONR damp towel took that right off.

Phew!

Thanks for the input. . .

I definitely don't wanna do that, OCFCP works way too good and I want to stay with OPT products. If this keeps happening I may have to, or at least think of a different way to apply. Like I said, this didn't really happen before.

I use demineralised water to dilute OCFCP, from a company that supplies to professional glass cleaners. Is that causing problems somehow? Why does the foam turn Yellow on contact?Why was I unable to replicate the problem on the previous van's backboard? Was it because I had cleaned it with ONR beforehand?

I get overspray on plastics quite often and never seen an issue, it might have to do with the particular substrate you’re over spraying onto. 
I’d say try cutting down the dilution to like maybe 7:1 or 10:1. 
You could grab some bath towels and shove them behind the seats before spraying, may take a couple minutes but will save you from having to fix anything. 
Or maybe spray the product closer and don’t fully pressurize the sprayer?

somewhere in a thread on here Yvan said 10:1 is the better dilution  for foam

It's a very weird problem, Stephen! I've never had an issue with plastics either. Some slight difficulties with glass but that's it. There seems to be a chemical reaction between the metal backboards and the product, turning the foam yellow and staining the backboard. I've had it happen to 3 vans now. The weird thing is, I tested on 2 vans on an invisible spot behind the seats; no reaction or staining. But then, when I sprayed the seats, the overspray that hit the backboard did react and caused staining. Very strange....

Previously I used it at 6:1, but have gotten way better results at 3:1 and using more. Stains just freaking disappear before my eyes after dwell time and using a scrub mitt. I'll try making a new solution with distilled water, hopefully that will solve my problem. Using towels behind the seats sounds like a good idea as well! Sadly not really possible on some vans, but with most it is!

Yesterday I tested some more with OCFCP, but not on a van sadly. I foamed it with an IK Foam Pro 12 @1:3 and very liberally, it got everywhere and I let it dry for 2 hours to see if I would run into problems. It was even on the front window, side glass and rear view mirror.

I got it off everything with a regular ONR wipe, except for the dried droplets on glass. I tried reapplying straight, Power Clean 10:1 and Hyper Polish; no succes. I then grabbed the TRC Interior Scrub Mitt (AWE-SOME tool!) with just ONR 256:1 and it took it right off. Will try that on the next van as well.

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2022 at 1:28 AM, Heijneker said:

Yesterday I tested some more with OCFCP, but not on a van sadly. I foamed it with an IK Foam Pro 12 @1:3 and very liberally, it got everywhere and I let it dry for 2 hours to see if I would run into problems. It was even on the front window, side glass and rear view mirror.

I got it off everything with a regular ONR wipe, except for the dried droplets on glass. I tried reapplying straight, Power Clean 10:1 and Hyper Polish; no succes. I then grabbed the TRC Interior Scrub Mitt (AWE-SOME tool!) with just ONR 256:1 and it took it right off. Will try that on the next van as well.

I am curious if this ever happened again and you have more info/data? I don't detail professionally nor have metal near my fabric on my car should be safe but we never know what the future holds.