Clear Coat Restorer

Lowejackson

Take a breath, Setec, it's a new product!  It's Clear Coat Restorer (not a Coating), so UV protection would be similar to clear coat.  It would work to repair scratches on headlights after polishing, but  Opti-Lens is harder and has more UV protection.  There is 1 size and no plans for more, I don't know the thread size (bottle is 8 oz, similar to Tire Coating & Protectant), I haven't seen an SDS and not sure I can post when it comes in.  Heat is the problem for CCR, so freezing is not necessary (doesn't freeze anyway) but keeping chilled is good.  I will provide more information when I receive it.

25 minutes ago, Ron@Optimum said:

Take a breath, Setec, it's a new product!  It's Clear Coat Restorer (not a Coating), so UV protection would be similar to clear coat.

Sorry, I'm excited!  I'm confused because I thought clearcoat DID have UV protection in it, and I would therefore expect CCR to outperform Opti-Lens by virtue of it being ~5 times as thick.  Unless you are saying that CCR is like clearcoat except it doesn't have UV absorbers.

I think what Ron is saying is CCR does have the same level of UV filters as clearcoat does but a coating eg Opticoat would have more.

The headlight area could be very interesting, ability to polish the plastic, add some CCR and then top with a coating could make a very durable combination.  The downside would be buying a bottle just for headlights would not make a lot of sense unless they were doing volume work or were going to do everything on the car in one stage, excluding the coating.  The other obvious disadvantage is the clear need for personal protective equipment and cloth disposal, no such concerns with Opti-lens.

If CCR worked with Opti-lens then it might offer the best version for UV protection

Perhaps this product would make a great discussion on the Synergy Podcast.  I assume Dann will start recording again soon.

That's exactly what I'm saying - for some reason people are looking for Coating characteristics in CCR - it has the same benefits/flaws as manufacturer's clear coat.  CCR topped with Opti-Lens would be an excellent headlight combo.  As said above Opti-Coat Pro/Gloss-Coat are harder and more UV/chemical resistant then CCR.

Compound the paint with Optimum Hyper Compound or Optimum Compound II and a wool pad to abrade the surface. Remove the compound residue. so yes, you can wet sand prior to applying CCR, the grit is dependent on how serious the correction but can be from 1000 - 2000.  Remember, CCR will fill scratches and the purpose of compounding is to "rough up" the surface.

Was thinking liket this:

- New car, wash (ONR) and protect using only sealants/waxes of your choice = Opti-Seal for me and Car Wax!
- After some years, apply CCR to cover the marring and again add just sealant/wax for protection.

Thoughts about a procedure like this?

- The clear-coat would only increase, not decrease.
- Even if I would coat the car it would need some buffing like before applying CCR so I would just skip the coating then.
- On the negative side, I couldn't use as harsh chemicals as I could if the car would be coated.

I think modern clear coats (including CCR) can deal with harsh chemicals for a reasonable time.  I have a Garage Queen (2001 Z3) that has the usual road rash and marring that accumulates over time.  I think CCR would fill and replenish the clear coat...then I can Coat to protect the finish.