Anybody still alive?

Heijneker

Hello there everybody,

I'm Rik from the Netherlands.

After a long time researching Optimum Polymer Technologies  (Mostly Optimum No Rinse), I have now joined this forum for some unanswered questions and contradicting answers. Hopefully, there is some life left in this forum, but it seems pretty inactive...

I'm escpecially interested in fast and efficient Rinseless washes for ordinary (And let's face it: neglected) cars. Cars that get washed only a couple of times a year in a carwash and are used daily. 

I'm excited to learn from all of the active members (E.g. Setec, A&J, LoweJackson) and the Optimum officials (E.g. Ron, maybe even the elusive Dr. G.)

I have no experience yet in using Optimum products, but hope to order some soon. My questions will be mostly about Optimum No Rinse and Optimum Power Clean.

Kind regards,

Rik

Hey Rik...welcome to the forum. Its nice to have some new blood here. I also wish this forum was more active but it is what it is.

A few things to remember about OPT products:

- they are all multipurpose

- they are all easy to use

- they all give great results

Now you asked about ONR and Power clean. Lets start with ONR.

ONR is a polymer based multipurpose cleaner, mostly made to replace traditional car soaps. Its advantage is that you dont have to rinse after washing and you can skip to drying the car. It also can be used as a QD and clay lube at 1:64 mix, and a interior & leather cleaner for mild dirty surfaces. For outside of the car use a 1:256 mix on mild to moderate dirty cars. If they are very dirty use a pre-wash or pre-rinse, preferebly with Power clean at 1:3 mix.

Power clean is a multipurpose de-greaser made for de-greasing tires, plastics, paint, interior, leather...its a strong product so watch out for dilution ratios. Its generally 1:3 for tires (it could also be used neat or 1:1 for very soiled tires) and same for paint as a pre-wash. Just DONT SPRAY IT ON GLASS and DONT LET IT DRY.

Now, since you ask on how to quickly wash a neglected soiled car I also presume you dont care for safe washing much. A quick wash with these 2 products would look like this:

- power wash the car to remove most crap off the car

- pre spray with Power clean at 1:3 on the paint and tires (also agitate tires with a brush)

- power wash it off

- use ONR (1:256 mix) in 1 bucket with a noodle mitt and wash from top to bottom in straight lines.

- dry the car with a MF towel (If you get opti-seal you can also dry&seal at the same time)

you could wash a car like this in 20min and get great results.

I hope this helps.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:34 AM, A&J said:

Hey Rik...welcome to the forum. Its nice to have some new blood here. I also wish this forum was more active but it is what it is.

None of the forums are as active as they used to be.  Apparently Facebook, etc. have supplanted forums, which as some people have pointed out, is unfortunate because you can't search like you can on a forum.

I am one of the lucky or smart or just dont-give-a-crap people who dont use facebook so I wouldnt know...but truth be told...OPT forum has always been quiet...probably due to only discussing one brand and most one brand forums are quiet.

Optimum is very active on Facebook and that seems to be the media of choice.  I agree that single brand forums are self limiting and add to that (1) much of OPTs emphasis the last few years is on professional only products (those pros have other media sources) and (2) the new products have a more limited scope (Clear Coat Restorer, Gel Coat Restorer, Tire Protection and Coating, etc).  When OPT adds or updates common commercial products, forum interest spikes.  The loss of Dann and Yvan also reduces our media outreach -

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I am newbie, but I would like to say, that I like to take inspiration from everything Optimum - the products, methods, master detailers sharing their practical knowledge (most notably Yvan and Levi from TRC and many others on the facebook group) and use this knowledge, methods, tools and philosophy to take care of all kinds of cars, because all situation can benefit from efficiency, health considerations and ease of use and satisfying results. Even neglected daily cars or the household. Both as a business or regular user.

On 1/2/2020 at 6:26 PM, A&J said:

emmm....hello...anybody still alive here???

Hey A&J! Love all the contribution you have made, I have read a lot of your posts, and watched a lot of your videos. Your comparision on rinseless/waterless washes was especially interesting and carefully done.

You got me..... In the days following the post, it seemed as if my post wouldn't be posted due to inactivity in the forum (Is that a correct sentence even?). And scrolling trough the forum and the lack of new posts made me doubtfull.

I also didn't get any updates on my Mail-account (until now), and have been and still am very busy (in my head, finishing my study).

Thus excuses out of the way, I am happy to see some answers here, from the people I was hoping to get answers from!

On 1/1/2020 at 2:34 PM, A&J said:

A few things to remember about OPT products:

- they are all multipurpose

- they are all easy to use

- they all give great results

Now you asked about ONR and Power clean. Lets start with ONR.

ONR is a polymer based multipurpose cleaner, mostly made to replace traditional car soaps. Its advantage is that you dont have to rinse after washing and you can skip to drying the car. It also can be used as a QD and clay lube at 1:64 mix, and a interior & leather cleaner for mild dirty surfaces. For outside of the car use a 1:256 mix on mild to moderate dirty cars. If they are very dirty use a pre-wash or pre-rinse, preferebly with Power clean at 1:3 mix.

Power clean is a multipurpose de-greaser made for de-greasing tires, plastics, paint, interior, leather...its a strong product so watch out for dilution ratios. Its generally 1:3 for tires (it could also be used neat or 1:1 for very soiled tires) and same for paint as a pre-wash. Just DONT SPRAY IT ON GLASS and DONT LET IT DRY.

Now, since you ask on how to quickly wash a neglected soiled car I also presume you dont care for safe washing much. A quick wash with these 2 products would look like this:

- power wash the car to remove most crap off the car

- pre spray with Power clean at 1:3 on the paint and tires (also agitate tires with a brush)

- power wash it off

- use ONR (1:256 mix) in 1 bucket with a noodle mitt and wash from top to bottom in straight lines.

- dry the car with a MF towel (If you get opti-seal you can also dry&seal at the same time)

you could wash a car like this in 20min and get great results.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the effort and time put into this post. You are very correct in that I'm not too concerned about swirls inflicted on the cars, though I'm trusting Optimum No Rinse or Wash & Wax, and Optimum Car Wax or Opti-Seal, when used as intented, to minimize swirls caused.

The following will be adressed in a new Forum post as well, as I deem that more appr

I would like to see a wash procedure that makes for a viable alternative to the Automated Carwashes, both in cost and cleaning results on moderately (Subjective) dirty cars (Weeks/Months since last wash). The gloss and swirl-hiding induced by Automated Car Washes (Though lasting mere days or even hours) will be hard to match, but I thinks that's a non-issue.

Concering Power Clean:

In a Popular video on Youtube from The Rag Company, featuring Levi and Yvan, in which they clean a heavily soiled black car. The video is of low quality, and details are not/barely shown afterwards. Production quality, as often is the case, seems to be low.

Though Levi and especially Yvan are extremely knowledgable about the products, making it an interesting video nontheless. Yvan starts out by applying the Power Clean, undiluted I believe, to the frontal area of the car, on the bugs. Also on the window, in direct sunlight, and they don't seem to be in a hurry. They then proceed to agitate and afterwards clean it using Optimum No Rinse. This seems contradicting to alot of statements Yvan has made in other videos.

Now I really don't want to bash on Yvan, I think he is a wonderful person and representative, and I'm sad to see that he has retired. I was really hoping to see/hear more of/from him, since I think I've consumed 90% of the available material.

I'm eager to get my hands on these products ASAP and start testing on ALOT of cars. I think the Optimum Line-up is THE way for cleaning most cars. Bombarding your car with tens, or even hundreds, of liters of water at high pressure seems to me to be clearly wrong.

Phew. Cheers to whoever read it all, hope I made sense. Thanks A&J.

Rik

On 1/1/2020 at 12:11 AM, Lowejackson said:

Welcome Rik.

It is always possible to make car washing more efficient.  Lots of good tips from the Synergy Podcast and videos with Yvan on using ONR and Power Clean but this forum is probably a great starting point. Lot of very knowledgable people here.

Thanks, LoweJackson!

It sure is and there sure are! I think I've almost watched and/or listened to them all, several times. I hope to have some helpful discussions with those knowledgeable people and Optimum officials to chime in where needed.