Interesting video testing optimum spray wax

Redgrandam

I have another theory in that Car wax doesnt add immidiate UVA and UVB protection but instead makes it so that the clear coat doesnt lose its UV protection which it does over time.

Maybe the product is not advertised in the right way which apparantly caused confusion within the buyers and then dissapointment when their faded car after a Car wax (UV blocker wax) application doesnt make their paint shine like brand new again.

As far as I remember dr. G said that paint has UV protection which has a half life of about 5 years...Car wax is designed to prolongues that UV protection and not add it like you would add sunscreen to skin right? Someone correct me if I am wrong!

From what I understand, the uv inhibitors migrate into the clear, buy it has to be used consistently, over time to really make significant impact? 

Regardless, I'm going to use Car Wax as my default paint protectant. I don't market it's abilities because I can't prove them. 

I passed this video on to Dr G and his comment was:  As he said all our testing was at 300 nm or shorter wavelengths and I think he is wrong since UVA is shorter than UVB not longer as he suggested. 

Dmitry stated the application was a little tacky - It showed him spraying Wax on too heavy which causes streaks and a tacky feel.

Wow I thought  i was the king of using to much product thats way to much wax . I dont think he  has any idea at all what he is doing with this wax  . Dont no what he means  buy picking up wax I want it on the paint? 

therein lies the problem with random people testing products - they don't follow directions, get suspicious/questionable results and post them for posterity.  Can't tell you how many calls I get telling me how to use products (or not use them) from someone who insist they are correct because they saw it on social media.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I came across this video in the last month or so. I checked some of his other UV product tests. The only product he’s found that has altered UV performance has been a PPF. I think he’s only checked one PPF so he doesn’t have others to compare too. I believe he’s tested numerous waxes and ceramics. 

Is OPT able/willing to produce a video testing OCWs ability to offer UV protection? I see there is some new activity on their OPT channel. Would love to see testing at 300 and 400 nm. 

Optimum Spray Wax has PATENTED UV PROTECTION - the government does not issue patents without extensive (and expensive) independent lab reviews. I did a study for Dr G and found that very few manufacturers even mention UV on their labels and no one has patented protection. 

I seem to remember on one of the old podcasts (or maybe an old video on The Rag Company) where, I believe it was Yvan and Dann, mentioned that while the characteristics of the wax will deteriorate over time, the UV inhibitors that migrate into the clear coat do not. 

On 8/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, Jayk82 said:

I seem to remember on one of the old podcasts (or maybe an old video on The Rag Company) where, I believe it was Yvan and Dann, mentioned that while the characteristics of the wax will deteriorate over time, the UV inhibitors that migrate into the clear coat do not. 

I understand the wax is not a permanent layer and that the UV inhibitors move into the clear coat but I’m having a hard time understanding why the wax had no effect on the UV test. Is there some curing time that needs to happen before the product will block UV?