Add MDR to ONR Solution

Heijneker

Hey there,

The following could be totally untrue; I vaguely remember a reputable source once stated that MDR could be added to the ONR wash solution, to aid in very light water spot removal. 

Is this true?

I just re-watched a video from Forensic Detailing Channel where ONR in itself was unsuccesfull in doing so.

Also, why is this? Why aren't these minerals water-soluable anymore and stay bonded to the paint.

Thanks in advance.

The truth to mdr is that there are many other options to removing water spots. MDR is not very good at it. I am saying this from an experience standpoint. Wheel acid 2:1 or 1:1 will remove spots perfectly. If you mix 4oz of MDR with 1/2 oz of onr to a gallon of water you will get a great road salt remover product. Salt stick to a coated and non coated paint and this mixture does a fantastic job at removing it. 

I never realy get water spots maybe because  my car is gloss coated with  a couple  of coats of opti seal and  don't realy no how many coats of onr with wax  and spray wax  any  water just falls of the car  

But I like the idea of removing salt in the winter  i believe  that we are supposed to  put onr on the car and then mdr on top and agitate  what's the difference  if you mix it 

4 hours ago, Habs said:

I never realy get water spots maybe because  my car is gloss coated with  a couple  of coats of opti seal and  don't realy no how many coats of onr with wax  and spray wax  any  water just falls of the car  

But I like the idea of removing salt in the winter  i believe  that we are supposed to  put onr on the car and then mdr on top and agitate  what's the difference  if you mix it 

There would be a lot less ONR on the surface of the car, as in the bucket. Meaning it would be diluted less.

• 10 months later...

On slightly related topic, I watched a recent Rag Company video where they demonstrated hard water mineral removal with MDR and then high strength Wheel Cleaner.  The MDR removed some but not all their deposits while the Wheel cleaner removed all the deposits.

However, is OptiCoat Pro+ up to withstanding a wheel cleaner without damage?  What would be the best way to use MDR to assure best mineral removal performance ?

I am going to be open about the fact that mdr is not the best for removing water spots. Gtechnic w9 works the best by far.  There is no need to use wheel acid to remove spots if you get w9. Mdr works great as a salt remover diluted 4 oz per gallon of water with half of of onr.

On a side note, wheel cleaner will not hurt or remove pro plus. Yvan washed his pro plus jeep with power clean straight every time he washed it due to the oil that his diesel bus would throw on it as he pulled it with the bus. 

6 hours ago, Mr.Outback said:

On slightly related topic, I watched a recent Rag Company video where they demonstrated hard water mineral removal with MDR and then high strength Wheel Cleaner.  The MDR removed some but not all their deposits while the Wheel cleaner removed all the deposits.

However, is OptiCoat Pro+ up to withstanding a wheel cleaner without damage?  What would be the best way to use MDR to assure best mineral removal performance ?

MDR indeed did not remove the water spots. 

HOWEVER, MDR is a gel so you can let it dwell for a longer time to do it's thing. It will even  totally remove lesser coatings if you let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Please don't use highly acidic wheel cleaner.

The problem with water spots is the huge variety in their make up - MDR (IMO) is good at removing light water spots, the kind you get when rain falls on a dusty car.  Hard water from a faucet may take more effort.  The toughest water spots I've dealt with come from well water and wheel acid (with some agitation) removed them.  Wheel acid will not damage Opti-Coat Pro and I believe if removed before drying, is safe on clear coat.  I can't speak to glass, but if like Power Clean, the key is rising well before the product dries.