New Formula No Rinse Review

As promised, I tested the new formula ONR last week.  The car washed had Opti-Coat Pro applied 7 years ago by Yvan (the coating is still there) and hadn't been washed in 4+ weeks.  I used the standard mix in 2 buckets with separate sponges (Big Red and Big Gold), splitting the card down the middle.  I didn't take pictures - it was in my garage, cloudy day, and I never find pictures all that helpful.  Everything from here is subjective:

First observation, the original ONR had larger beads, the New Formula had smaller beads that sheeted off quickly.  Not sure how hydrophobic ONR is, the car had Hyper Seal used as drying aid when last washed, so may be some combination, but there was an obvious difference.

I didn't see any obvious difference in cleaning power or shine, but the rinse water for New ONR was substantially darker (more dirt).

I did feel a difference in slickness, the New Formula being maybe 20% slicker (very subjective, I know).  For a blind test, I had my wife run her hands over the paint and she agreed the New Formula felt slicker (she commented her fingers dragged more on original ONR).

For whatever it's worth -

On 12/20/2020 at 8:12 AM, Heijneker said:

Thanks, Ron. Great review. Only thing is, the more dirt in the new Formula ONR solution could also be down to the different sponge?

Or it could be since this new formula is supposed to stain the media less, there was more dirt in the water and less on the media--what did you observe on the media staining, Ron?

good points - the sponges were equally clean, but Setec may be onto something since one attribute of the new ONR is better release properties.  There's no way to compare the amount of dirt coming out of the sponges during cleaning and I didn't notice any difference on staining (but sponges internalize the dirt more than other media).

Second on the sponges absorbing the dirt, once every few washes I give the BRS a good Power Clean scrub, which makes it release alot of traffic film from within; awesome! My sponge has sufferes about a 100 washes already, from mostly neglected cars lol. Looking a bit rough along the edges but working ever so good. Amazingly soft when soaked in hot ONR now.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep my sponge in a covered container with ONR (not submerged but with solution) and periodically I turn it over to keep it moist.  I don't use my ONR wash bucket/solution, but a fresh mix, and every so often (monthly) change it out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got to test the new formula alongside the old one!

I had two similar buckets with grit guards and both with 3 gallons of water and ONR at standard dilution. One bucket had ONR dating back from the end of may and a BRS which suffered through a 100 washes, the other bucket had ONR and a new BRS that were bought on January 10th. Both had as hot as possible water, car was neglected but had some sort of protection, it had some morning dew on it and was around freezing.

There was no difference noticeable in smell or look of the solution.

So on the hood, without a pre-spray, I used the old ONR & BRS on one half and the new ONR & BRS on the other half. Straight away, the new ONR beaded up ALOT faster than the old one! I was astonished at the difference. So much so I forgot completely what I was testing and happily went on to only use the new Formula for the rest of the car..... Oops!

But yeah! New formula seems like a vast improvement!

I have some difficulty with achieving smear-free interior glass with old formula, hopefully the new one will do better! Maybe you have some tips, Ron, or anybody else?

Also, why is there so little to read about Optimum Glass Clean & Protect??? It's the best exterior glass cleaner I've ever used, very easy to get perfect results and the hydrophobics are an added bonus. I use it after having used ONR and dried the glass.

I don't know why there aren't more reviews on Glass Clean & Protect, but from Optimum's perspective the product was developed to use with our Glass Coating.  As a glass cleaner I've found it to be average on uncoated glass, but very good on Opti-Glass - it does replenish the hydrophobics on coated glass.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2021 at 10:01 AM, Ron@Optimum said:

I don't know why there aren't more reviews on Glass Clean & Protect, but from Optimum's perspective the product was developed to use with our Glass Coating.  As a glass cleaner I've found it to be average on uncoated glass, but very good on Opti-Glass - it does replenish the hydrophobics on coated glass.

I wonder if there's a detailer trade publication similar to Automotive News or Wards that actually lists detailer purchasing stats and favorite products (how many units sold per month, etc.) ?

One last thought here:   I've now have the ONR new formula (bluish color), and the Opti-Pro No Rinse (yellow color).

Other than color, are these the same formula, or are they slightly different   (I was told the OPNR is designed to work better with Opti-Pro coatings) ?

Just making sure I use the right stuff....   

• 2 months later...