ONR vs new products

Been using ONR since 2009 (just saw where my original thread was resurrected in ‘18) and been happy with it. However, there are a lot of products in the category now. Are they pretenders to the throne or have they passed it by? I’m asking here because in other forums (Autogeek, autopia) the consensus seems to be that some of the other products are better now.

Bonus question: does ONR interfere with SIO2 coatings? Put some CQuartz lite on my wife’s car* and want to know if ONR’s polymers will negatively effect it.

*another example of the ‘prevailing wisdom’ being against OPT.  Was told gloss coat will barely last a year and that the CarPro offerings are far superior.

I can't speak to other manufacturers products (maybe other posters can), but ONR has been reformulated recently for improved release and cleaning performance. ONR will not interfere with or remove ceramic coatings.  As to "prevailing wisdom", Optimum is not a marketing company and does not advertise so does not get the attention of social media.  Somehow we survive (and prosper) competing with multinational companies with huge marketing budgets.  From the number of new users I talk to daily, ONR is doing just fine.  If you ask Pro installers about our ceramic coatings, you may hear more positive feedback.

I too have had the same thoughts the last few months about certain products in the OPT range. I think most on here would agree that the professional-grade coatings are some of the best available. I also love that ONR is probably the best product most people have never heard of . . . I have to admit I am yet to get a bottle of the new formula to try (being in the UK it takes a while for the stock to filter through)  but still very happy with the performance of my current ONR.

I do feel that while the professional-grade coatings have been going from strength to strength the consumer coating Gloss Coat has fallen behind many of the newer 'lite' coatings of others, and cost-wise some of the higher-end consumer coatings. I have read many a thread on other forums, from home users to certified OptiCoat pro installers, that Gloss Coat struggles to hold its own in many aspects. I would imagine that Gloss Coat is not the product keeping the lights on at OPT so understand it's probably not at the top of any list to be looked at, but you never know with Dr. G what he's tweaking so maybe there is a new version on the horizon?

For me this is the only product that I have really struggled to justify purchasing, every other product has excelled at its job, and like many OPT products, other jobs too!

Don't want this to come across as a rant or dig, just my opinion looking at the current market trends.

It seems like (due to marketing) the hype, if you will, has lessened a bit with optimum, at least that’s what YouTube would have me believe. I have watched a lot of reviews on other products, most comparing to ONR, and the biggest ones that seem to be claimed as ‘better’ seem to revolve around Yvan now promoting a competing product. 

I’m new to the optimum consumer line, and I continue to be impressed with ONR and OCW.  With ONR specifically I haven’t tried any competitors, because it’s affordable and works exactly as it’s supposed to, so I’m not honestly sure what ‘better’ would look like. It’s tried and true and just works!  I’m looking at my gallon of car was soap and wondering what I’m going to do with it as I think I did my last traditional wash today, hopefully ever (so much work, so much stuff!). 

I think with ONR people have gotten wrapped up with the lubricity feeling with the wash media. Thinking that another one is better because it feels more slick. That not necessarily true, as we know, and unless ONR is scratching, then it must be slick enough!  I have yet to really see someone complain about scratches with ONR in any of the reviews I’ve read or watched. 

It’s hard to see a company as trendy and popular when they don’t have a steady stream of new products for you tubers to play with. It’s so easy to get the itch to constantly use something different. It is something that makes this a good trustworthy company though, IMO. 

I have used various rinseless washes and liked all of them.  They offered different things but all did the job, I still prefer ONR as a better all-rounder.  As with many things in detailing and the real world, there is a high degree of preference rather than any one product which is vastly superior to another. 

I cannot recall ever using ONR after trying another brand and feeling disappointed. 

I am almost tempted to order the new version of ONR for my business but the costs are quite high ordering from Europe and importing into the UK

10 hours ago, Redgrandam said:

With ONR specifically I haven’t tried any competitors, because it’s affordable and works exactly as it’s supposed to, so I’m not honestly sure what ‘better’ would look like. 

It’s hard to see a company as trendy and popular when they don’t have a steady stream of new products for you tubers to play with. It’s so easy to get the itch to constantly use something different. It is something that makes this a good trustworthy company though, IMO. 

My biggest complaint with ONR was always the staining of the media.  Since the first pass could "permanently" stain the wash media black, it was hard to judge how dirty the car was and whether you had done enough passes on a particular panel to tell if it was safe to dry.  Not only that, the staining wouldn't wash out, so this would carry over to subsequent washes.  Over time I have learned that a pre-wash with some OPC helps to remove the staining, but I don't think I have used any other rinseless washes that have stained at all--or if they did--that didn't come out in the laundry.  I always tried to tell myself that ONR was somehow different and better because it had this characteristic, but I didn't really believe myself.  If the new formula has overcome this problem, that would be a huge improvement.

As far as "trendy", at another forum we used to refer to this as the "Flavor of the Month Club".  It's been a long time since Optimum has had any sanctioned proponents on other forums, and of course forums are somewhat passe these days.  Perhaps the Opti-Coat maintenance products would have "trended" but since they aren't available through distribution, there is no promotion by distributors.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that ONR often caused discoloration of my fabric applicators but on close examination it was dirt that ONR had captured in the media (I use the Opti Coat ONR which is orange and the used applicators end up stained gray or gray/black).  Rags to Riches or a good "free and clear" detergent (like ALL or Tide) usually gets rid of the staining.

As for "flavor of the month" some new detailing product companies are going to great lengths acquiring new detailers/customers via training, product giveaways, etc.  That doesn't  make their products "good", but makes them more available.  As smaller communities like mine have few detailers (we've __one__ for a 40K+ town), anything making it harder for them to obtain products puts them at a disadvantage.

2 hours ago, Mr.Outback said:

I've noticed that ONR often caused discoloration of my fabric applicators but on close examination it was dirt that ONR had captured in the media (I use the Opti Coat ONR which is orange and the used applicators end up stained gray or gray/black).  Rags to Riches or a good "free and clear" detergent (like ALL or Tide) usually gets rid of the staining.

If I wasn't clear, it's certainly not the ONR staining the media, it's that the dirt doesn't release from the media.  Something about ONR makes it penetrate so deeply that it doesn't wash out easily.  This was discussed at length on this forum years ago, but we lost a lot of content here when a former moderator, who like Ron, was a go-between between the forum and Dr. G, deleted all of his posts, losing a lot of data and making a lot of threads useless.  At any rate, I'm looking forward to using up my older ONR and ONRWW so I can get to the new versions with better dirt release.

wow, a Chris Thomas mention.  When I left Memphis to go into partial retirement, Chris was still moderating this forum (I was pretty upset when he deleted his content...he was paid to administer and didn't own his posts).  When he left OPT I noticed that other than a very occasional Yvan post, no one was monitoring this forum, so I stepped in.  I admit to not having the knowledge or experience of pro installers and really try not to bother the good doctor often, but have found I enjoy the challenge of crazy questions and how sharp you people are...

• 1 month later...

It’s funny how after Yvan finished marketing for N-914 it lost its hype as well. 
i guess it really doesn’t matter what brand you use as long as that brand works for you. Although, I highly appreciate the mindset of OPT, and the focus on end user and environmental safety. I see a lot of companies claim their environmentally friendly because it uses less water, but what’s in my solution–ya know? And the fact that there’s really only Necessary products. 

looking in groups/forums, it seems ONR is regarded as “Wheaties” as someone put it on YouTube. But I have a feeling that the years to come as new detailers come in rinseless & waterless will be the new standard. 

ONR's claim to environmentally safe is not only due to water conservation, but the chemicals are not harmful.  I literally dump my wash bucket in flower gardens and when I told Dr G that, he said it was made up of polymers and dirt, both good for plants.

On 6/9/2021 at 3:38 PM, cptzippy said:

Been using ONR since 2009 (just saw where my original thread was resurrected in ‘18) and been happy with it. However, there are a lot of products in the category now. Are they pretenders to the throne or have they passed it by? I’m asking here because in other forums (Autogeek, autopia) the consensus seems to be that some of the other products are better now.

Bonus question: does ONR interfere with SIO2 coatings? Put some CQuartz lite on my wife’s car* and want to know if ONR’s polymers will negatively effect it.

*another example of the ‘prevailing wisdom’ being against OPT.  Was told gloss coat will barely last a year and that the CarPro offerings are far superior.

I am getting a least 3 years out of gloss coat.  I wash with onr  top it with optimum wax  and once a month with  hyperseal    the paint is slick water just sheers of  the paint .  My mother in laws car only gets the wax and hyperseal or opti seal . The difference is astounding that's  how I know the gloss coat is still there.